The classic Unisaw

Review by GaryK posted 03-01-2008 08:26 AM 2888 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The classic Unisaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After using a Delta contractor saw for about 9 years I finally moved to my new shop with the room
for a full size saw.

I bought this saw while my shop was being built. Amazon had mis-priced this saw so I jumped on it and got it
for $1340 delivered. Plus a $100 rebate from Delta. The next day Amazon bumped the price up to $1900.

What can you saw about the Unisaw. They started making them about 1937 and most all saws made today
are based on it. You can probably still get parts for your 60 year old saw!

My saw passed the standing nickel test with no problem. It has all the power I would ever need. It’s nice
and heavy and I say that it’s virtually impossible to tip over.

The left tilt is great. When cutting bevels the cutoff falls away from the blade. I made the transition from
my right tilt contractors saw with no problem at all.

The Biesemeyer fence is fantastic and rock solid. That’s probably Delta why bought the company. I do like
some of the features of their Unifence and I would like both, but I don’t know if I could swap them back
and forth.

Comes with a 5 YEAR warranty which is one of the longest I have heard of.

It comes with a 3HP single phase 230 volt motor, cast iron top and extensions. It also comes with a blade
that was so good that I left it on the saw even though I had a brand new Forrest blade.

I am very happy with it and wouldn’t get anything else.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#1 posted 03-01-2008 10:09 AM

Wish I had the room and the dough!!!! Until I can move up to the big leagues I may have to settle for the Ridgid folding table saw, at least then I could take it on jobs with me. I can’t believe you found such a great price too! How lucky is that?
Great saw Gary, it’s the saw we used in 7th grade woodshop over twenty years ago.

-- --Chuck

View sharad's profile

sharad

#2 posted 03-01-2008 10:40 AM

Very nice review. It shows how much the technology has advanced. It makes your work easier and accurate.
I would like to visit your workshop whenever I come to US. Is there no annual conference or workshops conducted where the members of LJ can meet? That will give me a chance to visit US.
Sharad

-- “If someone feels that they had never made a mistake in their life, then it means they have never tried a new thing in their life”.-Albert Einstein

View trifern's profile

trifern

#3 posted 03-01-2008 02:21 PM

Very nice Gary. This keeps me dreaming of someday. Thanks for the review.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#4 posted 03-01-2008 04:16 PM

I’m with Chuck….not enough bucks, not enough space. Nice review,though, Gary. I can still dream. <g>

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#5 posted 03-01-2008 05:25 PM

I agree, very nice saw. The grand daddy of table saws. But for me, like the others have posted, in this economy unfortunatly I can’t afford such a luxury.

#6 posted 03-01-2008 05:27 PM

Great review Gary. A nice saw. and a great price.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#7 posted 03-01-2008 07:19 PM

Great review Gary,
I think this might be the same saw that I learned woodworking on, in 9th grade, in 1947.

View John's Woodshop's profile

John's Woodshop

#8 posted 03-01-2008 07:30 PM

Gary,

Congratulations on the new saw! Now you can post this in your shop with pride:

Unisaw

Welcome to the Unisaw Owners Group :)

John

-- John -- Racine, WI -- Woodworking..."It's not just a Hobby, it's an Adventure"

View hikE's profile

hikE

#9 posted 03-01-2008 07:47 PM

Very nice tablesaw indeed. I have caontactors saw model 36-650C its gets ‘er done for me for now. Soneday Ill probably do the same.

-- HikE, Nova Scotian blue noser

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19472 posts in 2516 days

#10 posted 03-02-2008 07:10 AM

good looking saw Gary, I did a similar transition 3 years ago. No looking back since.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#11 posted 03-03-2008 09:32 AM

Hi Gary;

Great buy! I guess Amazon won’t sell to you anymore! LOL

My unisaw is 15 years old and so far, it’s been fantastic!

Even being shipped around for woodworking shows to demonstrate ezee-feed, it’s remained dead on.

Lee

View TomK 's profile

TomK

#12 posted 04-17-2008 07:03 PM

I remember the one in the cabinet shop at my grandfathers lumberyard. That was in the early 60’s and he bought it at the end of WWII. Stopped by there recently on my way through and introduced myself the the current owner, (several yard owners since), and the saw is still there. By the way, the 60’s vintage DeWalt radial arm saw is still in operation too. Lots of memories working (under supervision) as a youngster there in that shop.

-- If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until it's free! PJ O'Rourke

View EduWood's profile

EduWood

#13 posted 06-20-2008 06:51 AM

CONGRATULATIONS! I too have recently purchased a UniSaw. It felt good to get a great deal on it. Here in O.C. California is a local chain of lumber yards. The two near my house cater to contractors, not cabinet makers or fine woodworkers. When I saw the UniSaw on their showroom floor (at $1,999.-) I decided to keep an eye on it. I knew it was the wrong saw for the type of contractors they had for customers. It dropped to $1,899, then $1,650 and they still didn’t sell. I offered $1,550 if they threw in the mobile base (worth about $175.-). They said o.k….... I just got my $150.- rebate check too. The saw is GREAT. The side table and Biesemeyer Fence are wonderful.

-- David, O.C., California