Accu-Link Adjustable Link V-Belts (from Harbor Frei

Review by David Grimes posted 1015 days ago 11318 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Accu-Link Adjustable Link V-Belts (from Harbor Frei Accu-Link Adjustable Link V-Belts (from Harbor Frei No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

There are at least two common brands of link belts on the market: PowerTwist belts, manufactured by Fenner Drives, are red. Accu-Link belts, from Jason Industrial, are green. The Harbor Freight belts are the green Accu-links and the subject of this review. The regular price is $24.99 for a five foot piece ($5 per foot).

I have the pleasure of being a Ridgid BS14002 bandsaw owner. Luckily, mine did not have the vibration issues that others have experienced. However, there was some minor vibration and I wanted to make it as good as I can get it (within reason). A blade change made a noticeable difference that I would have been satisfied to say good enough, but since I already had the link belt, I went ahead with the very simple installation.

taking them apart, removing links, and re-attaching the ends could not be any easier. It is a quick bare hands exercise that takes seconds. I was able to get within one link of the size with the first attempt, then quickly removed one more link. After I slipped it on, my tension was already about what I wanted, so I fired it up. The difference (change) was NOT like night and day, but it was just a little bit smoother. Also, the noise (to my ears) was neither louder nor quieter.

I do plan to add one of these to my table saw and my planer at some point, but no hurry. I’v got nearly 18” left of this one to save for the next 5 ft. order.

I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 stars because it is not inexpensive (versus using an automotive belt) and it is only sold in 5 foot lengths at Harbor Freight. I would have ordered 2 more feet and taken care of the table saw as well (or just ordered 4 feet for this bandsaw only).

I am pleased with the product, have no regrets and would recommend to a friend.

Thanks for stopping in.

DG

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks for the review. I agree, this type of belt really helped my table saw by reducing vibration.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Sawkerf's profile

Sawkerf

I put a Fenner (red) link belt on the Craftsman TS I used to have as part of an serious teardown and overaul. That belt and machined pulleys almost let it pass the nickel test.

-- Adversity doesn't build character...................it reveals it.

View woodzy's profile

woodzy

Noted. Nice review. I’m thinking of one of these for my lathe. It’s an older model and needs a new belt … amongst other things.
Your recent shop upgrades are giving me an itch that needs scratching. thanks :) (for the motivation)

-- Anthony

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

I also put a (red) link belt on my contractor saw when the original v-belt was nearing its end of life. Made a big difference, and it does pass the nickel test.

-- Joe

View GregD's profile

GregD

I put the red verson on my previous table saw quite a few years ago. It worked well.

I put this green version on my drill press when one of the original belts failed. I think it works just as well as the red version. But, as you say, the green version is only a bit cheaper than the red.

-- Greg D.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

Thanks for the review. good to know the options out there. still somewhat expensive at $25.00

I think you didn’t notice a day and night difference because your v belt was still somewhat OK and did not have a memory bump into it. this is the only benefit of this link belt over OEM belts – the fact that they will not develop a memory bump.

with that in mind, good quality belts like the gator v belts (example) also will not develop memory bumps and are as smooth if not smoother than the link belts, and are $8 per belt (to compare with the $25 price mark of the link belt).

just know your options. there are others as well.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

I had excellent results on my Grizzly band saw using this brand of belt.
I used the HF 20% off coupon to ease the pain a little : )

Grizzly G1538 before and after HF link belt installation.

2072 posts in 1242 days

Now THAT was worth it ! Great before and after, Dusty56.

Thank you , David ….
I sold the saw a week later and the new owner couldn’t believe how smooth it ran , “for a Grizzly” , as he put it.
He said that he was prepared to try to talk me down on the price , until he saw it in action : )
I should have asked for more !! LOL

How much tension do put on these belts?

Bert , the machines that I have used mine on so far , just have the weight of the motors tensioning the belts.
Seems to be enough as no slipping has occurred so far . I haven’t tried one on a drill press , so I have no answer for that application : )

2072 posts in 1242 days

On the band saw, I just pried it hand tight with a pry stick, tightened one bolt, checked to find about 1/4” play, and finally tightened all the other bolts.

View MitchBigglesworth's profile

MitchBigglesworth

Are these belts directional?

Be careful as you buy them.
I bought two sets at the same time. I noticed later that one set was made in USA and the other in Italy.
The links are slightly different in size and material.

I read that these belts are directional and that they are marked with an arrow.
I never was able to find the arrow on the belts that I bought.