Viking Re-Saw Blade 105" x 1/2" 3 TPI (Timberwolf)

Review by David Grimes posted 1015 days ago 2497 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Viking Re-Saw Blade 105" x 1/2" 3 TPI (Timberwolf) Viking Re-Saw Blade 105" x 1/2" 3 TPI (Timberwolf) Viking Re-Saw Blade 105" x 1/2" 3 TPI (Timberwolf) Click the pictures to enlarge them

We all know that most of the time the blades that come with anything new are usually pretty sad. The blade that came with my Ridgid was not so bad at all. But as soon as I installed the Grizzly 6” riser block and the 105” blade they sent with it was when I found out what a bad saw blade was like… truly unusable. I began to search for a better blade.

My intention was to obtain a 1/2” blade that can handle everyday chores, but could step up and do some nice re-sawing as well. I have a smaller bandsaw with a 1/8” blade and high tooth count for small and/or fine work, but did not want a 3/4” re-saw only blade tying up the big saw as a one trick pony.

I ordered this blade from Lee Valley after researching the Timberwolf blades (and others). Lee valley states “These blades (previously identified as the Timber Wolf® brand)”... so they are the same other than the name. I’m glad that I did.

After installation, I pushed a piece of wood 6” tall and about as deep and wide through the saw free-hand and obtained a slice less than 1/8”. It ran though so smoothly, on the next I easily free-handed a slice just over 1/32” . I had the new table and fence off for the blade change, so I am 100% confident that I will be able to get accurate cuts at any thickness with a fence. Further, the smoothness of the cuts would require little if any sanding. After making these test cuts, I noticed that I forgot to lower the top guide down to 6 1/4”, so these were made with the top guides up at 12 1/4”.

The saw never had objectionable vibration, but it is noticeably smoother (even less vibration) with this blade change and the link belt change that I made earlier tonight as well. FWIW, the blade made a bigger difference than the link belt, but the link belt got me from a nickel to a penny passing test.

So , bottom line… I am very pleased and look forward to using this fine blade on this now re-saw ready bandsaw.

Thanks for stopping in…

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1241 days

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

i have these blades and reviewed them a few years ago i love them they last a long long time.

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2036 days

Thanks for the information. Do you think this blade is on par with the Woodslicer?

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1241 days

@Rex, I have no way of truly knowing, but I would think they should be close (as in both being quality blades). If I had wanted a 3/4” re-saw blade, the Woodslicer was high on the list. The prices are comparable.

View Howie's profile

Howie

Last blade I bought was a Timberwolf and man does it make a difference.(3/4×3T)
Thanks for the tip on the name change.

-- Life is good.

Good info, I love Timberwolfe blades. I’m down to my last one, and I can order the riser kit. Didnt want to waste 3 blades once I decided you upgrade my Grizzle 14 inch saw.