Auriou Cabinet Files

Review by mjon posted 2337 days ago 4066 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Auriou Cabinet Files Auriou Cabinet Files Auriou Cabinet Files Click the pictures to enlarge them

If it’s possible to get excited about a simple and ancient tool, these little handmade French cabinet files have me giddy. Generally, files are nothing to get too thrilled about—but the quality of these files is exceptional from the moment you pick one up. The balance is remarkable and the handle is smaller than any I’ve ever used. As a result, they fit in your hand comfortably. When I say the files are handmade, that is to say they are actually hand-punched. They have a staggered tooth, giving them a more uniform groove pattern throughout the file—ultimately aiding in smoothing out curves and flattening recalcitrant tenons. Another plus to these cabinet files is that they have a rather sharp point and teeth that go all the way to the end/edge, giving you the ability to file in very tight joints or fair a curve. When you consider a file is a fine-tuning instrument, you realize quickly that it is well worth the price of admission—they are the most expensives files/rasps on the market. These babies ain’t cheap, but the quality is far superior to any machine-made files. Enjoy!

Michaeljon, Woodworker

View mjon's profile

mjon

View jcees's profile

jcees

I own a couple of Aurious and I concur, they are excellent in every way a file/rasp can be. They won’t grab like machine made ones do because of the natural randomness of teeth set by hand. The handles are as you describe, smooth and righteous to the touch. Good review. Also, the company has announced that they will be going back into production soon. Pricey? You bet and just like a California divorce, expensive but worth it!

always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

View Chris 's profile

Chris

I walked into woodcraft the other week and found one of the Auriou round rasps on the clearance table; 75% off discontinued! Took me all of about 1/2 second to make my decision.

View gator9t9's profile

gator9t9

I saw that Auriou is selling out now …and having a big sale …someone else bought them up …..but my question is …they are selling the Auriou rasps and files and etc on a website i found …...but have them listed by # the AURIOU numbering system well….............I dont know one from the other …so maybe some knowledgeable LJ could tell me what would be the most used Auriou to look for ???? Does this make sense ….I hope i am making sense ..or not …cmon gator stop making sense …

-- Mike in Bonney Lake " If you are real real real good your whole life, You 'll be buried in a curly maple coffin when you die."

View JayPique's profile

JayPique

I see that Auriou makes some needle rasps. I’m wondering if these wouldn’t be just the thing for fine tuning the cope cuts on molding. Anyone have them? I know they are way pricey, but I have one of the cabinet rasps and it’s pretty sweet cutting. Plus, I’m a big “buy the best and only cry once” proponent.

JP