6" and 12" Combination Squares

Review by DylanC posted 10-14-2011 03:56 AM 2823 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
6" and 12" Combination Squares No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought both for less than $20 at a local big-box store. Both checked out as square at full extension when I “showed the line to the square”. Also, both have cast steel heads and stainless rulers. The 12” has deep engravings and the 6” is etched. Both have scratch awls stored in the heads, also.

-- Dylan C ...Seems like all ever I make is sawdust...

View DylanC's profile

DylanC

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 10-14-2011 03:45 PM

I’ve had the same squares. and yes they ARE square according to their spec.

What I found though was that the 6” square rule never moved smoothly in the head – and I went to 3 different HD stores and tried out all the 6” models until I found the one that was the ‘best’ and still it wasn’t as smooth as I would like – but it sure was square. the 12” for some reason is smoother. I guess the machining process for the 12” is better.

frustrating at times to set them to exact lengths because of the smoothness issue, but they are a great value squares.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View CartersWhittling's profile

CartersWhittling

#2 posted 10-15-2011 02:23 AM

I also have the same 6” square and use it all the time and my friend has the 12”. Though like PurpLev I have the same problem with the arm not running smoothly, it can be a little annoying, but still a good square. I believe those squares come in two different editions, the standard quality and Pro, the latter is what I have. I can not remember what the difference is besides price. I would give it a 4 out of 5.

-- And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord... Colossians 3:23 http://carterswhittling.wordpress.com/

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#3 posted 10-16-2011 07:50 PM

Agreed with Carters. I have the six inch for several years now. It is my apron square. Works very well, stays square and is smooth to boot. I keep thinking I should get something better, but this is find for now. There are better things to spend money on I guess…

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#4 posted 10-17-2011 03:58 AM

I have the same two combination squares and they work very well. I also had a problem with smoothness of the 6” square. I sent an email to Empire and they sent me a replacement part (for the life of me, I can’t remember what it was) and it fixed the problem. So you might want to drop an email to Empire explaining that it is not smooth and I suspect they will send you the part to fix it as they did with me.

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".