Close Enough for Woodworking

Review by DylanC posted 10-14-2011 03:46 AM 2260 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Close Enough for Woodworking No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this up at a local Woodcraft (Item #148454) for ~$32. Got it mostly to speed up set-ups on the router and table saw. As soon as I got it, I measured each block with my digital caliper. Each block measured within half a thousandth of spec, except for the 1/2” and the 1-2-3 block. The half inch block measures 0.502” by 0.506” and the 3” side of the 1-2-3 measures a few thousandths over, also. Maybe that’s too much for high precision machining, but it’s more than adequate for woodworking. Also, for $32 you’d be hard pressed to find a more accurate set.

Whats in the box: 1-2-3 block, 0.0625” (1/16”), 0.125” (1/8”), 0.25” (1/4”), 0.5” (1/2”) and 0.75” (3/4”) gauge blocks. Plastic case.

-- Dylan C ...Seems like all ever I make is sawdust...

View DylanC's profile

DylanC

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#1 posted 10-15-2011 12:11 AM

I can live with .003 but anything over that makes me a little skeptical. Gaps in Miters start showing up at about .004 at .006 you do have a gap. Just sayin.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View maljr1980's profile

maljr1980

#2 posted 10-15-2011 06:23 AM

ive never seen someone use set up blocks to cut a miter…vids please lol

View Moron's profile

Moron

#3 posted 10-15-2011 07:12 AM

“close enough for woodworking”

surely, you are new at it ? : ))

it shows in yr projects ?

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#4 posted 10-15-2011 02:11 PM

Put those blocks in the freezer for a few days then measure them ;) What’s a few thousandths anyway, wood moves.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View MartyShapiro's profile

MartyShapiro

#5 posted 10-15-2011 02:50 PM

I have used sheets of paper to simulate a gage block. The idea is to measure and cut a block ‘close’ to what you need, then shim with uniform pieces of paper or tape. I have 3×5” note paper, 4 pcs = 1/64”. So I can accurately do 1/64 = 0.015 625 /4 = 0.0039” I have used this method for tapered sliding dovetails where tolerance is critical.
As it slides home, it gets tighter. By using the paper shims on the router fence I can control the taper very easily.

View jim C's profile

jim C

#6 posted 10-17-2011 12:28 AM

Even though those blocks are sold at Woodcraft, they are manufactured mainly for machinists, tool makers, etc. (the metal trades)
The idea is they are purposely oversize so they can be tuned in on a surface grinder to whatever tolerance the individual feels is necessary.
Some will grind them square, and parallel to within .0001 accuracy.
It takes time and would increase the cost considerably to attain these dimensions and would not benefit those that don’t need that kind of tolerance.
Hence the answer why they’re oversize.

View jim C's profile

jim C

#7 posted 10-17-2011 12:34 AM

Moron, Majr1980

Both of you need to find a forum that spews wise ass remarks and vitriol.
Don’t do it here genius’s
I flagged both of you.