Another manly man video

Review by WayneC posted 10-13-2011 11:28 PM 2272 views 2 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Another manly man video   No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

In this video, Rob covers taking a piece of rough lumber to finished state. The topic covered is similar to Chris Schwarz’s Course, Medium and Fine. One key item that distinguishes this video is Rob’s use of the scrub plane. This is one of the few videos I have seen where this plane is used fairly extensively. Most other folks I have seen use a jack plane for this work….

He spent to me what was an amazing amout of time getting one face flat enough to work. He used a technique where he rubbed the wood on his work bench and then planed the burnished points. He touched lightly on sharpening, covered winding sticks, squaring an edge, plaing a board to thickness and width (good use of a scrub plane).

Additionally he showed how to use a shooting board.

47 Minutes

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

View Brit's profile

Brit

#1 posted 10-14-2011 09:57 AM

Hi Wayne,

I also have this DVD, along with Rob’s other DVDs. I think it is a good example of how to flatten a board by hand, although as you say, a lot of people would use a Jack plane instead of a scrub plane. It just depends on how much wood you need to remove. A scrub can take a meatier bite than most Jack planes. I particularly like the bit where his stooge asks him if the process works on longer pieces of wood and Rob replies that the longer the wood the longer it takes.

His use of the Scrub is also interesting where after going diagonally in one direction, he turns the plane around and pulls it towards him. Personally, I would have just switched hands. As you know, I like using hand tools but there are certain tools that can be tiring such as planes and saws. I have taught myself to use these tools both left and right-handed and that way I can use them for longer without getting tired. I think this is a better approach than pulling a scrub plane.

-- Andy -- Old Chinese proverb say: If you think something can't be done, don't interrupt man who is doing it.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#2 posted 10-14-2011 01:19 PM

Wayne, I appreciate the tip. I’d like to have it but unfortunately I’m short of money right now. Woodworking is an expensive hobby, you know it?

View Dan's profile

Dan

#3 posted 10-14-2011 07:07 PM

I also have this video… The tip he shows about rubbing the board on the bench to scuff the high spots is really helpful. I tried it after I saw this video and I now do this all the time… I will add to this by saying this method works even better if you do it on the top of your table saw or jointer. Depending on what wood your working with it can sometimes be hard to see the marks left by the wood bench top. When doing this on the cast iron top of jointer or table saw it will leave light black scuffs which are much easier to see….

I also like that he shows how to grind and sharpen a Scrub plane iron. If I remember correct he uses the grinder first then does it free hand on a stone which IMO is the easiest way to do a scrub plane iron.

-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#4 posted 10-21-2011 04:26 AM

Hullu, it has to be expensive….. LOL I have seen photos of your carving tools :^)

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov