All around great performer and then some

Review by PurpLev posted 1049 days ago 2623 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
All around great performer and then some All around great performer and then some No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this when it first came out a year or so ago as I wanted something that could handle rabbets and joinery’s edges and this one seemed like a jack of all trades when it comes to that. It is no replacement for a shoulder plane, but I figured I’d use it mostly as a block plane which will also allow me to address some edges, rabbets etc.

The plane itself is a beautiful designed product and the materials and machining is superb – a real gem. it is very hefty and feels solid in your hand compared to my stanley block plane, but not overly heavy that it is uncomfortable. this heft also means slightly less need to exert force while using it as the weight does most of the job you just need to move it across the wood. the plane itself seem a bit bigger than other block planes but is still very ergonomic and feels very comfortable to use over a long period of time. touche on the design!

controls are spot on. there are 2 set screws to keep the blade where it supposed to stay in terms of lateral movements and the blade retracting mechanism works like butter – a real nice one to use.

The blade is thick at ~1/8” and comes sharpened but required lapping and honing to get it ‘there’. the lapping required was very minimal as the blade was flat and had no low spots just required finishing.

This plane comes with an edge fence that sets up the plane to be used as a rabbet plane to create rabbets at the end of boards. there is a left skew and right skew versions of the plane (I only have the left skew) and to this date have not used the fence or the plane as a rabbet plane but should the need arise I’m glad to have it available. It also has a scoring blade to help keep the rabbets edges clean and can be rotated out of the way when not in use (how I have it now).

The only thing requiring attention is the fact that since this is a rabbet plane and the blade is extended to the edge of the plane when using it as a regular block plane you have to be careful of that edge or it might scratch your stock (if not setup flush, or if you tip it slightly) – just something to remember.

the skewed blade make it cut end grain much easier than other straight blades and the fact that the blade is installed at low angle just helps it even better. I used it on some end-grain cutting board and other projects and there was no sign of the block skipping or sticking like something could happen in those scenarios. cuts like butter.

This is my work horse and I use it all the time as a block plane. a real good performer, looks great when not in use, and has some killer features.

Thank you Veritas/Lee-Valley for innovating and pushing the envelope with these.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

That is one preatty plane! It works very well when skewed?

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

PurpLev

sIKE- the blade is already skewed so you can work it straight, or slightly skewed to get an even lower cut angle but you can only skew it so much before the blade is parallel with your planing line

View patron's profile

patron

13017 posts in 1973 days

nice review sharon

i didn’t know they existed

thanks for the heads up

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

Yes, great review, Sharon. Nice and detailed. I don’t own one of these, but I have used it at a friend’s house. It’s an excellent plane and high on my list of future tools.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

Did you consider the LN version? I have had it on my buy list for a while and had not looked at the Veritas model. Wondering if you compared the two and something drove you towards the Veritas.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

PurpLev

Wayne: no. I did not consider the LN version. I am a long time LV customer due to their excellent customer service and product innovation, so much that when this plane came out it did not even bother to check for alternatives. Now I’ve been to the LN event in the past and have seen their planes – they are top notch and of great quality no question about it, but for some reason they never appealed to me, maybe because it looks just like the older stanley’s (I am being very general here, but thats my perspective), I also don’t care much for gold/bronze color, and they use bronze heavily in their planes. just a personal preference you could say nothing to do with the capabilities of the planes. the LN does look a bit smaller from pictures though.

What drew me to this plane was it’s elegant design, choice of materials (steel, black finish, bubinga) it’s features, and the fact that it’s a veritas and backed up by LV.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Thanks for the review, Sharon. I’d like to try that skew out. I’ve got to save me up some money some how or other.

Sharon: A great review. Nice job.

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

I too got mine a year ago. Still absolutely love it even though I’m not as much of a handtool guy – a joy to hold in the hand.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thank you for a nice review.
It is the only plane on my wishlist. I have been in love with that plane since I saw it, and yet I buy other tools all the time, so I might have to save some bucks now and go for it… I would love to have the set.
Here a compare:
I have no doubt I would choose the Veritas any day, it is just so much more useful.
LN have no latheral adjuster, needs a screwdriver for adjustment, cant close the mouth and finally need the side to be removed in use and are then fragile… Do I need say more?
Best thoughts,
Mads

PurpLev

Mads you don’t need to say more – but always welcome to ;) thanks for the link with the comparison. I didn’t even realize all the differences (ok because I didn’t check).

One thing I noticed about the LV plane (this is my only LV plane) is the ease of adjustments. all the dials and locks and everything is super smooth and very friendly to adjust and set the plane to what you want it to do without having to think or tinker with it at all, and I think for that alone the LV are worth their price.