Harbor Freight Router Inlay Kit

Review by ChuckC posted 10-12-2011 08:11 PM 4204 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Router Inlay Kit Harbor Freight Router Inlay Kit Harbor Freight Router Inlay Kit Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently bought the Harbor Freight Inlay Kit. HF obviously doesn’t make it but there’s no other name on the package. I was looking at them from other stores and for $35 for the kit and even more for the templates I always passed it up. This one was $10 and I had a coupon that brought it down to $8. The HF one even adds a centering pin which was a nice touch and the bushing is solid brass.

I still needed templates so I designed something quick in Sketchup and cut it out on the CNC.

The proof is in the pictures. It works great. The bit went right through the pine and padauk with no hesitation. I made a few other templates since and the cuts came out great. I think for $8 you really can’t go wrong with this.

I generally stay away from HF but they do have a few good things and this is one of them.

#1 posted 10-12-2011 08:27 PM

The results speak for themselves…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#2 posted 10-12-2011 08:33 PM

is the bit carbide or hss

-- Ben L

View A Slice of Wood Workshop's profile

A Slice of Wood Workshop

#3 posted 10-12-2011 08:47 PM

For $8 I might have to go check it out. Thanks for the good review.

-- Tim- http://www.asliceofwoodworkshop.com; Twitter-@asliceofwood; Facebook-http://www.facebook.com/asliceofwood

#4 posted 10-12-2011 09:04 PM

For $8.00 I would be stunned if the bit was even HSS.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#5 posted 10-12-2011 09:08 PM

The bit is an 1/8” solid carbide down-cut bit with a 1/4” shank.

#6 posted 10-12-2011 10:27 PM

I bought one as well , but haven’t used it yet. My bit appears to be HSS or less , but I will have to look into it further. Appearance wise , I was not predicting that it would last very long or cut cleanly , but time will tell : )

View Joe Watson's profile

Joe Watson

#7 posted 10-12-2011 10:55 PM

I have the same kit, it worked great.

-- Got Wood?

#8 posted 10-12-2011 10:56 PM

I literally made the sample in the picture in less than 10 minutes. I think I have to work on my technique but overall it’s hard to not like it.

#9 posted 10-15-2011 12:11 AM

Pioneer also makes a kit for less than $20 but the bit is hss. I went with the Whiteside because it has a solid carbide bit and got great reviews. The bushing insert fits snugly, but not too tite on the Whiteside. It works perfectly too.
Glad you found a cost effective solution.