Review of the Ridgid Universal Digital Miter Gauge

Review by David Grimes posted 10-12-2011 09:07 AM 6738 views 4 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of the Ridgid Universal Digital Miter Gauge Review of the Ridgid Universal Digital Miter Gauge Review of the Ridgid Universal Digital Miter Gauge Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the Ridgid Universal Digital Miter Gauge.

Lets start with the Universal part. The miter slot bar has a clever lobed t-slot washer that quickly adjusts and locks to the width of any t-slot lower trough. If your miter track is just plain square, then it rotates and locks in flush. They even threw in an extra bar for the non-standard undersized slots that are used on many table top machines. I believe it is truly universal and well-designed.

The head unit attaches to a fairly beefy aluminum fence with two slots on front and back faces, then one on top and bottom. Of course one end (blade side) is mitered. The head / control unit requires two AAA batteries and powers up instantly. There is a battery status gauge so you’ll know before the batteries are depleted. Another press on the button and the large LCD numerals with blue back-lighting will flip upside down.

Setup was very quick with a square as reference of the fence to the miter slot of the table, then lock into place and depress the other button for 3 seconds and it self-zeroes. If you turn it off (by pressing the power button for 5 seconds duration), move the angle of the fence, then turn the unit back on… it still knows that you have moved it so re-calibration is not necessary. How day do dat ? The unit also will re-set zero at any position (not just at 90) if you want it to. Its miter and blade angle ranges are both +50 to -50 degrees.

Another feature is an audible click as you move the angle with the unit on. When going from 45 to 22.5, for instance you can hear a click for each tenth of a degree as you fine tune the setting. I like that.

Also packaged is an all aluminum flip stop gauge, an aluminum face stop gauge, and a micro adjust gauge made of aluminum and brass. All of these will work in any of the unit’s fence grooves AND in the grooves of other machines’ fences that have standard 1/4 – 20 grooves. Cool !

The top of the handle has a slot to hold the hex wrench securely and totally out of the way, yet right there when you need it. Smooth move that. You can see it in the 2nd picture above.

The unit also includes a magnetic blade attachment for table saws that bevel either right or left. It will allow you to tilt your blade to your exact desired bevel within a tenth of a degree. This feature will come in handy.

Finally, if you’re like me and take the board you just cut to another machine or for assembly, but leave the power on at the digital miter gauge, it automatically turns off when there is no movement for 5 minutes.

It has a three (3) year warranty and a 90 day satisfaction guarantee that gives you a full refund or exchange (your choice) if you are dissatisfied for any reason.

I give it 5 stars. It’s about $90, built well and full-featured in a very usable way. I would recommend this product to a friend.

Thanks for stopping in.

DG

View Howie's profile

Howie

#1 posted 10-12-2011 09:42 AM

That looks like something my 3650 needs. Thanks for the review. Did this just come out? I don’t think I’ve seen one around yet.

-- Life is good.

#2 posted 10-12-2011 09:53 AM

I ran across this about a month ago on the Home Depot website when I just searched for Ridgid. With the 90 day satisfaction guarantee, I figured if it was a dog I’d just give it back to them. I’m very pleased. I’ve only had it a week, but it is already the go to and my Rockler miter sled is gathering dust. This is just so handy and portable.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#3 posted 10-12-2011 02:50 PM

That’s pretty cool. I’m happy with my Osborne, but this is tempting.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#4 posted 10-12-2011 02:58 PM

Looks like a thoughtful design. I really like that micro adjustment on the stop.

Like Charlie, I already have an Osborne.

BTW – Make sure the adjustable fence is away from the blade, or well you know what happens – I’m just saying.

-- Joe

View SnowFrog's profile

SnowFrog

#5 posted 10-12-2011 06:36 PM

Looks good, I wouldn’t mind one of those.
Unfortunatly I just checked on the HD site in canada and it is not there, and that is the only place I have ever found Rigid Tools, is HD.

HD.Com does not ship to Canada ;-(

-- One can dream, about a passion not yet fully fulfilled!

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#6 posted 10-12-2011 06:42 PM

I have the Craftsman version, still in the box. Reckon I should take it out huh? Some say it’s twitchy when trying to get 22.5 degrees or other non-standard degrees.

I don’t think it has a flip stop though.
How about accuracy; is it dead on?

I like this one as well.

-- Mike

#7 posted 10-12-2011 06:44 PM

@charlieM1958 and ajosephg, If I had an Osborne I would probably stick with that as well.

@SnowFrog, Bummer. Maybe they’ll make it up there soon.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#8 posted 10-12-2011 08:32 PM

David,
At the risk of sounding stupid- am I correct in thinking that the fence portion of the gauge can slide back and forth along the face of the protractor? A kit like that would be great on my table saw, but I could also see myself using it on my shaper. However, the miter slot on the shaper is pretty close to the cutterhead/spindle. I’d need to make sure the fence would clear the cutterhead as iit rode along the miter slot.

Thx

#9 posted 10-12-2011 08:50 PM

@Tedstor, Yes. The position of the fence to the head unit can be move from either end and anywhere in between. I tried it out on my bandsaw and it works just fine there as well.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#10 posted 10-12-2011 10:17 PM

Good review. But I can see myself having problem pushing it without the tall standard handle. And not enough adjustment throughout the miter bar to take off the miter slot play.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#11 posted 10-12-2011 10:59 PM

I talked to Wixey about doing that years ago, but they never did anything about it.

What’s the miter bar like? Adjustable?

#12 posted 10-13-2011 02:11 AM

@Routerisstillmyname, Mine will have a handle. Working on it now. Also, the bar does adjust in width such that mine is tight as I want it to be.

@GaryK, The miter bar is adjustable, yes.

View IndyCindy's profile

IndyCindy

#13 posted 11-13-2011 04:03 PM

David,

What are the dimensions of the extra bar for the non-standard undersized slots? I have an old Delta contractor saw who’s slot is only 1/4” deep. Top slot dimension is 5/8”, bottom of slot is 3/4”. Will this work for me?

Thanks.

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#14 posted 11-13-2011 04:21 PM

Thanks for the review. As I have a Craftsman saw, I’ve looked at theirs many times but was afraid to take the plunge as I never saw an indepth review. Funny enough my stock C-man miter gauge has been really accurate at 90 and 45. Still the neat factor with this one may be to tempting to pass up :-)

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

#15 posted 11-14-2011 06:56 AM

@IndyCindy, Width-wise it will go 1/2”, 5/8” and 3/4”, but thickness-wise it is 3/8” minimum. Sorry.