Festool MFT/3 Multifunction Table

Review by woodtechbbq posted 10-11-2011 02:31 AM 9303 views 1 time favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Festool MFT/3 Multifunction Table Festool MFT/3 Multifunction Table Festool MFT/3 Multifunction Table Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the Festool Multi Function Table. This was my big surprise Christmas present from my wife last year. She surprised me big time with this one and I think I surprised her very well by putting it together as soon as I got it through the front door. She was lucky that it didn’t become a permanent fixture in our living room. But after she finally convinced me I didn’t need to keep it in the living room, I folded it back up and got it to my basement shop.

The MFT/3 measures 45 9/16” x 30 7/16”, weighs 62 pounds and is 36 7/16” tall. The guide rail system is crucial to the functionality of the MFT table. It’s attached to adjustable brackets that adjust to allow up to 3” material to be cut. The fence is attached to the angle unit which is attached to the table using the V-Groove side rail. The Angle unit allows for repeatable accurate angle cuts.

The top for the MFT/3 table is a replaceable MDF panel. It’s perforated to allow for easy attachment of work pieces to the table. Festool makes several clamps for use with the V-Groove side rails and the holes in the top.

The screw clamps 4-11/16” (product # 489570) and the 11 13/16” (product # 489571) as well as the Quick clamp (product # 491594) work within V-Groove side rails (these clamps also work with the guide rail system to secure the rails to the work piece). They can also be used to clamp work pieces to the table top by slipping the metal pieces through the perforations in the top.

Festool also makes clamping elements that allow us to clamp oddly shaped work pieces securely.

I’ve been using this table for almost a year now and have only run into one problem. I’ve had to readjust the fence on a few occasions to ensure that it is still cutting square. Other than that it’s great.

I rate this tool at a 4 out of 5. It’s a 5 out 5 if someone can tell me how to fix the issue of it going out of square from time to time!

-- Jason Leinberger, http://woodtechbbq.squarespace.com/

View woodtechbbq's profile

woodtechbbq

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#1 posted 10-11-2011 03:16 AM

OK, I have a home built, multifunction bench. It cannot be stowed away…...it weighs about 350 lbs I think, and granted, it has a different purpose. I am just finishing up putting a woodworking vise on it, which I will blog. I looked at the Festool stuff, and considered real hard. Mine is a bench. You can plane, sand (with downdraft), and do a bunch of stuff. You can do rout through and cut through as well. So, it is really a different item. That table would solve some cutting problems for me, if teamed up with the Festool saw and guide system.

But then I fell into my usual mode of doing unusual design, and building what I needed. That table wouldn’t fit right in my shop. But I really looked hard at it.

Glad to hear it is working well for you. It looks like a first rate piece of gear, and the reviews are good. Your wife done good.

Here is a link to my bench…...this is not a comparison with the Festool table, because they have different purposes…....just similar names.

......a link to my strange multifunction bench…...

Have a good day, and thanks for presenting this. Haven’t seen a review after use for some time….......

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

#2 posted 10-11-2011 04:12 AM

nothing like a review right out of the box

1 yr later and still green

#3 posted 10-11-2011 04:21 AM

its the “cats meow”

everyone else squanders their money, their time, to create a bench, that never sees dust

they protect it, likes it fine china…………….and it “isnt”

its a “tool” to be used and tarnished, scratched and dented, all of which , builds character, thus the initial meaning of the trade……….

dumb ass with a camera shall show the world how little they know

#4 posted 10-11-2011 04:28 AM

Festool WILL NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER WOODWORKER

#5 posted 10-11-2011 04:31 AM

but it will make you the envy of the neighbourhood : )

View maljr1980's profile

maljr1980

#6 posted 10-11-2011 04:53 AM

i do think festool is very overpriced, but i use a festool drill at work, so im not one to talk

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#7 posted 10-11-2011 06:33 AM

woodtechbbq

Ignore the above comments. These comments are basically the result of envy, or worse. Festool has it’s place. They make good tools.

I am sorry. This is not what LJ’s is all about. Look around. Pick up a buddy or two. Have a good time here.

We are a good bunch.

But we reflect society, and there are a few sad souls out there.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

#8 posted 10-11-2011 06:57 AM

Jason Welcome to Ljs
To join the above Jims Ideas. LJs has mostly friendly helpful members. Somtimes you run into folks that don’t best represent most members helpful kind ways.
Thanks for your review and enjoy LJs,

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#9 posted 10-11-2011 07:07 AM

Welcome to LJs Jason. Unfortunately some people live up to their name, but they are the exception not the rule. Sounds like your wife made a great investment for your shop. There are many Festool users on this site that should be able to offer suggestions. Merry belated Christmas.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7095 posts in 1990 days

#10 posted 10-11-2011 10:11 AM

ive been here on lumber jocks for over 2 years now, and the best thing i love here is the wonderful people and the projects they make, the forums are excellent for getting help and its been a wonderful resource for me, one thing i really think is important is that we welcome our new members with love and excitement, and we look forward to what knowledge and ability they will bring to the site, and in hopes we can become friends as we respect each others opinion as there own, we might feel different, but it should always be expressed with respect , so i want to welcome you to lumber jocks, im looking forward to the positive input you will give and we know you will want to respect those already here and we will all come together as friends, and hey , enjoy our wood work…....i look forward to seeing your shop and your projects, that’s one thing i really love as everyone’s projects here, inspire me to be the best wood worker i can be…welcome buddy

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#11 posted 10-11-2011 10:17 AM

Jason welcome to L J and thank you for the rewiew
I don´t think you can find a tool that don´t need adjusting from time to time :-)
I don´t own any festools my self but having a small basement shop myself I know
space can be a problem so things have to be easy store and easy set up
and its not a bad investment your wife made

Dennis

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7095 posts in 1990 days

#12 posted 10-11-2011 10:31 AM

wow i wish i would get present like that, i was jusr in wood craft yesterday and looked at the fine festool collection, i have not owned a piece of it yet, but from what i understand, they make great tolls…maybe some day my pocket book will be able to afford a new tool from them, until then ill enjoy reading about them and seeing how well they perform, and look who has waken up and stopped in for a hello…hello there dennis, how is your wonderful helper these days, silke, i just loved your and hers last post on the boom a rang…your a lucky man…have a great days folks..

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View lew's profile

lew

#13 posted 10-11-2011 01:08 PM

From one basement workshop dweller to another-Thanks for the great review!

It’s really nice to get information on a product after it has been in use for a while.

Like Dennis, wish I had some Festool stuff. Sounds like your wife is a “keeper”!!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View reedwood's profile

reedwood

#14 posted 10-11-2011 02:15 PM

Nice review jason,
I wish my wife would buy me a tool like that! Wow! Almost better than sex!......almost. I drooled on one of those tools one time at the woodcraft store but I saw too many other tools I could buy with that much money.

I have a carpenter working for me who has All of the festools but he also has “beater loaner tools” and won’t let anyone use them. can’t say I blame him.
My next festool will be that new mortising machine…no wait, the sliding miter saw….no, the orbital sander!

I want em all!

Moron….Dude! He’s a new guy! Wassup with the name calling? You havin a bad day or just feelin fiesty?

Jason, Pay him no mind. he’s a good guy….really. We can be a rowdy bunch sometimes. It’s all in fun.

-- Mark - I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.

View woodzy's profile

woodzy

#15 posted 10-11-2011 02:41 PM

Nice review.
Your wife is awesome, Mine only asks me to clean them up, or to stop buying them.

This site is a real friendly place with a lot of good people. Advice, tips and answers to your questions are abundant. Much like other parts of society there are a few “MORON’s”. (no offence, it’s your screen name)
Ignore them and move on.

If i see a review for a product i wouldn’t buy or use.
I jsut read it stay quiet or just skip over it all together, is that too much to ask?

I find that the review section of this site brings out the most venom from the worst group of LJ’s.
This is really becaoming common place around here.
Don’t let this taint the site for you.
Thanks for the review