Evapo Rust - Still Impressive

Review by hjt posted 1019 days ago 4028 views 1 time favorited 46 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Evapo Rust - Still Impressive Evapo Rust - Still Impressive No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my second review of this product. In my first review I show this amazing product on large pieces loaded with rust. Here I decided to clean up some small items. The great thing with this product is that it keeps the rust off for a long period of time, well over a year.

A close up of the rust

Below is my process as I cleaned several items that day. I do it much like what they say on the bottle.

I let the pieces soak in Evapo-Rust for a several hours

Then I rinse in plain water and let them drain/dry for a little while.

This is not on the bottle, but makes sence to me – Oil!

I then soak the pieces in oil. If you look at my previous post on this mentioned above, I believe this step is what helped me to get over a year before rust appeared on my table saw.

Let them drain and wipe off and you get this….

You can get this product at Harbour Frieght. Hope you have as much success with this as I have.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

Love this stuff! I get mine at Autozone….

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

Tractor supply has it as well. It cleaned up an old rusty Stanley 110 plane. Buffed lightly with wire brush chucked in the drill press and it is good to go. Good stuff !!

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

hjt

Hmm, Auto Zone and Tractor Suppy. Good to know.

-- Harold

Tractor Supply is $10 cheaper per gallon than HF.

I got mine at Tractor Supply. They only had the gallon size in the store I was at.

View ChrisCrafts's profile

ChrisCrafts

Yep great product. Bought my Grizzly Cabinet Saw covered in a half inch of rust. Tried Vinegar, Oil, Even my beloved Boeshield, only thing that would touch it was good old EvapoRust. Took some elbow grease but it looks beautiful now! Since then I have used it to refurbish 4 Bandsaws and 3 Jointers.

-- Chris, Washington The State! http://www.chris-crafts.com

hjt

Chris do you have any before and after photos of your saw? If you’ve not seen, check out my previos posting about this product. (see above) I have inherited my Dad’s tools and his Grizzly was loaded with rust to, as was the bandsaw. The results of this product were amazing and the before and after photos I took really show Evapo Rust’s power.

View poppi's profile

poppi

I need it and I will be sure to try it, I live in the Seattle area, need I say more.

View mvflaim's profile

mvflaim

I used Evaporust for several years and bought it in the five gallon bucket. I loved it and never had a complaint other than the price. Then recently I tried Citric Acid. I found that it works just as well but it’s a tenth of the price. I use one ounce per one gallon of water and I can buy 10 ounces for $20.00

-- http://mvflaim.wordpress.com/

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

if you guys like this i wonder id need close to 5 gallons to dip planes in would it be better or faster than electrolysis or taking my planes to the radiator shop and dunking them in the tank this removes all the japanning too how is this stuff on paint and japanning

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

It doesn’t bother japanning.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

so it would be good for planes i want to keep japanning on and for bad ones ill still strip them at the radiator shop
what is the price of 5 gallons

hjt

Hey “dude”, what’s japanning??

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Wow. I’ll have to look into that stuff. I have been using naval jelly and it seems to etch the surface. does Evapo rust remover do that?.................Jim

hjt

Jim – I’ve not noticed any etching in the least.