Why did I wait so long?

Review by JohnGreco posted 1020 days ago 1840 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Why did I wait so long? Why did I wait so long? No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I order all of my pen supplies from Penn State and kept seeing this on their site. I don’t do a whole lot of acrylic work, but when I read reviews on their site saying it worked just as well on a CA finished pen as a final buff, I figured it was worth a try.

The directions on the bottle say to sand to 400-600 grit. Wanting to err on the side of caution I went to 600 grit (as opposed to the normal 12,000 I typically use on acrylics) and turned off the lathe. My sanding marks at this point were clear as day, especially when trying to see the deep shimmer this particular acrylic had. With the lathe off I spread a layer of the polish over the acrylic and gave it a couple of minutes to dry.

2 minutes later, I turned on the lathe and buffed it with a cloth, making sure to let some friction heat build up. Immediately I was able to see the cloth’s reflection in the acrylic as it turned! Stopped the lathe and it was absolutely amazing, but not quite perfect.

A 2nd coat was applied in the same manner, and I had the results you see above. As good, if not better, than micro mesh with a great shine.

$12 for 3.4 oz. isn’t exactly cheap, but the good news is a little goes a long way. I squirted out Way more than I needed the first time around, I would say each coat uses a drop a bit smaller than a pea, ymmv. I’m looking forward to giving this a try on the next CA finished wooden pen I turn, but am definitely hooked with this for my acrylics.

-- John

View JohnGreco's profile

JohnGreco

View ed220's profile

ed220

619 posts in 1991 days

Thanks John. Let us know how it goes. There’s a lot of us that don’t like to use ca as a finish coat. Looks great on the acrylic.

Great looking pen…thanks for the tip : )

Great review and superb results!!!! It looks amazing.