Combining Power Tools and Planes

Review by WayneC posted 1058 days ago 1407 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Combining Power Tools and Planes No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This DVD is another one filmed in the mid 90s and makes the argument of why would would want to use handplanes to augment your power tool woodworking. In the video he uses modern manufacture planes from the 90s such as a crappy stanley #4 stanely, #92 and 60 1/2 block plane. I was not really in favor of his advise and techniques and feel the video is so so. I would recommend videos from KingShott, Schwarz, Charlesworth and perhaps Cosman over this video.

Topics covered
Tuning a #4
Sharpening a plane iron (no mention of camber, plane tracks dealt with by lateral adjuster)
Stance and Holding a plane (did not like his approach)
Joint an edge
Surface Stock (strange technique, no mention of winding sticks)
Adjust a drawer for perfect fit

Filmed in 1996
45 Minutes

View Don W's profile

Don W

Wayne, do you have a dedicated woodworking library? I’d love to have your collection of books and woodworking dvd’s. (one of those #62s would be nice too) Thanks for the review.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

WayneC

I have book case dedicated to woodworking…. Crappy camera at the moment so the photo sucks. Think I am going to pre-order a new iPhone on Friday to resolve the camera issue…

View Don W's profile

Don W

WayneC

Being an HP employee, I am still crying in my WebOS beer…..

The iPhone is an excellent camera. I had a 4 which was recently stolen and I have been liveing with a 3gs until the new phones came out. The camera on the 3gs sucks compared to the 4….

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

Wayne – the stuff you’re reviewing is practically pre-revolution, meaning from the last moments before the widespread resurgence of hand tools (Silver Age?) we’re now in. It’d be interesting to see someone tune and use a crappy 4, but the omission of the additional details you mention tells me the DVD is a nice try for it’s day but hardly comprehensive by today’s standard. Great review, thanks.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

WayneC

Actually I am hoping this helps steer people towards some of the other videos out there. The stuff by Jim Kingshott was filmed at the same time but holds its own with some of the best stuff out currently. I will get to the more recent videos.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

I hope it does, too. You’re right, there is lots to see out there that is great quality to improve the work coming out of lots of modern shops!