work smarter not harder

Review by Partridge posted 2335 days ago 3487 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
work smarter not harder No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello, Lumber Jocks
Not real sure how to format a tool review, but here I go.
RYOBI 18v Impact Driver
I needed a tool to screw in a lot of 1 5/8 dry wall screws. The job was the inside of my shop, putting up chipboard (OSB). I started off with a Bosch drill drive and it was working alright but I could see it taking a long time, besides it was starting to work my wrist and arms when pushing up tight on the screw to get it in place or to keep it from stripping. That’s not Bosch’s fault, that’s just the nature of the beast. One night a friend came over to help me hang some panels and he brought his own driver, or so I thought. So we cut a panel and started screwing it to the wall studs. He was 10 to 1 over me. THE NEXT DAY I BOUGHT ONE!
I love it…..I have a 20×24 shop plus bonus room. All the chip board (floor to ceiling) is screwed in every 6” on each stud. That equals a lot of screws. A good test…and it passed!
It has lots of power and it did not threaten to strip one screw.
Note: I did try to drive a ¼ x 3” lag bolt into 2 2×4s. No problems!
I have a friend who has a burden that has left him with limp wrists and he can’t use drill drivers because of the constant torque. With the Impact it is possible again.
At 3.5 pound plus Battery, It’s a very beefy tool and at 70 dollars, I think it was a great buy.
This tool is great for screws, bolts, lags, ect. You can put a drill bit on it and it will work, but there are better choices.
In closing, it’s my prediction if you were to purchase this tool it would be the driver you reach for.
Idea: How would it work with a mason bit on concrete……

-- I get out in the shop when I can

View Partridge's profile

Partridge

View scottb's profile

scottb

gotta have the right bit for masonry (for impact) or you’ll kill the bit using a regular masonry one.

Dad has one of these (NiCad) and loves it, even it’s heft. (I like my LiIon Makita – so much lighter)
So amazing what they can do with a lag bolt, or drill bit of any diameter into any kind of wood. Even when it looks like it’s barely spinning it making great progress (counterboring a 3” Oak post for a lag, for example).

Our only problem is killing phillips bits, occasionally shredding the tip of one in a screw head – some aren’t up to the torque – the ones by Bosch (at the blue big box) seem to outlast other DeWalts or the no-name ones by a considerable margin – something that was never an issue with a regular drill – not that I’d go back to just a regular drill for most tasks.

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View Rog's profile

Rog

Ryobi Impact Driver works great, I used it to take apart my storm door damaged in a windstorm. The 3” torx screws were bent from the door doing a 180 in high winds. I borrowed Ryan’s Impact driver to take the torx’s out and it did a great good. PS I’m the guy with limp wrist, ie dystonia a neurological movement distorder. Regular drivers just twist my wrist or strip out screw heads. Also the light weight of this one did not cause me pain in taking out the torx’s over my head. I would recommend it to anyone whether you have strong arms or not. Also I want to thank you Ryan for loaning the Ryobi to me. Rog

-- I get out to the shop when Ryan lets me. Arggggggggggg

View blueeyeddevil298's profile

blueeyeddevil298

I own several Ryobi tools including the impact driver and I have been extremely happy with any purchase I’ve made. Maybe its just cordless tools in general have me spoiled. I install cabinets and don’t always have power handy. I just recently bought the right-angle drill and the jigsaw, and they are great.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks for the review. I believe I now have one of these on my “must have” list.

View Tooldads_apprentice's profile

Tooldads_apprentice

This drill is a really good for the price. That is exactly what it is though. We have these drills in my shop class and it works good. These have trully been through a lot. A bunch of high school students can really test a drill’s durability. Now I bought this for my person use at home and the chuck had gotten stuck on me. Besides that it is a good drill for the price.

-- Your not a true woodworker until you blow your nose and saw dust comes out! (WoodWorker Rule)

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

#6 posted 2066 days ago

I was going to do a review of this tool, but yours and the followup comments do the job just fine. I own two of them and the only problem is the weight of the nicad batteries. I have five of those cells and they are not only heavy but two of them are going to pot. I will get me some Ryobi lithium replacements soon (hopefully, there will be some on sale on Black Friday this year), and that will cut down on the weight and also improve reliability. One thing I like about what Ryobi has done is that the lithium cells are direct replacements for their 18-volt nicad versions. I just wish they cost a bit less.

Howard Ferstler