What the heck does that plane do...

Review by WayneC posted 927 days ago 1299 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
What the heck does that plane do... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been going through my woodworking videos and rewatching them while I work out on the exercise bike. This one by Jim Kingshott is a wonderful video that takes you through the use of almost every specialty plane you could encounter. This video complements his bench plane video that I reviewed previously.

I own most of the handplane related videos on the market other than ones by Rob Cosman. For some reason, I do not own a single video from Rob. I guess have a similar reaction to Rob that some folks have for Chris Schwarz. I need to get over it. :)

If your a hand tool wood worker, I would say that this is a must own video. Jim has over 50 years of experience as a woodworker and comes from a long line of woodworkers. He is full of knowledge about how to use all of these planes and he covers a ton of them.

• rebate planes
  • spoke shaves
  • shoulder planes
  • miter planes
  • japanese planes

The interesting thing is that he does not just demonstrate one of each type. He has a number of them and contrasts them. For example when describing compass planes he shows a metal one that would be pretty familair to every one but then pulls out a number of wooden ones and discusses making ones specifically for a given job.

This was filmed about 1995
it is 90 minutes in length

I ordered this from Craftsman Studio.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thankĀ“s for the rewiew Wayne :-)

take care
Dennis

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

I own a couple of Jim’s videos. I like his teaching methods.

-- Tim

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

I own this, Wayne, and I recommend it. I actually use mine like a bedtime story. I have it cued up in a little portable player and when I can’t sleep, I pop this in. Very comforting. Excellent watch.

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thank you for a fine review.
(I know what you mean with Rob and Schwarz, someone have to pay for the hype… Laugh).
That sounds like a video I need.
I will look for it.
Best thoughts,
Mads

11996 posts in 2599 days

I think you would like this one Mads…

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

Al, somehow the fact that you curl up to sleep against a backdrop of a 16 year old handtool video just makes complete sense to me… :-)

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

11996 posts in 2599 days

I’m sure Steak is down with that as well….