So you think your a handplane expert

Review by WayneC posted 10-05-2011 01:24 AM 1478 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
So you think your a handplane expert No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a review of the DVD Bench planes by Jim Kingshott. Jim is a lifelong woodworker who comes from a line of wood workers going back many generations. This video is full of knowledge about how to use hand planes for bench work. The video starts out with Jim fetteling a modern #8 Bailey pattern plane. He explains the operation and adjustment of the plane in detail and sharpens the blade.

He then moves on to a wooden jack plane and finally to a Norris Infil plane. He uses the various planes and contrasts them.

He covers a lot of ground taking a board preparing it on all 4 sides and then he uses planes to edge joint 3 boards to be glued up into a panel.

He briefly covers shooting board and then goes on to discuss smoothing planes. One thing that is real interesting is his approach to course, medium and fine. He tends to use the wooden jack plane for course work, then a bailey or bedrock jointer for medium work and then he moves on to an infil jointer for doing the fine work. Very interesting to see.

This video is highly recommended. I obtained my copy from Craftsman Studio. (one of my favorite on-line vendors)

The video was filmed in 1995 and is 75 minutes in length.

I have added a review of his Special Planes video it can be found here.

For another for bench plane use video, you can also check out my review of Rob Cosman’s Rough to ready.

View jjw5858's profile

jjw5858

#1 posted 10-05-2011 01:55 AM

Hey thanks for this post, very interesting. I am just getting started out using handplanes more in my work, and I was lucky to pick up a Stanely 5 3/4 bailey for $30 at a Flea market. It seems to be in very good shape and has been working well, and nothing like the look and feel of wooden handles over the cheaper plastic made ones at the home stores…lol. Thanks again.

-- "Always continue to learn, laugh and share!" JJW

View Don W's profile

Don W

#2 posted 10-05-2011 02:08 AM

Thanks for the review wayne.

jjw did you fat finger the 5 1/2 or 5 1/4 or did I miss a turn?

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

#3 posted 10-05-2011 02:43 AM

Your welcome. It had been a while since I watched this. It is really something to see someone use a 28” or so inch infil jointer. My favorite line in the video is when he is using a marking guage to scribe the thickness of a board and he makes a comment to the effect of you need to do this right or your line will look like one a Donkey would make peeing in the snow on a windy night… He is quite a character.

View djwong's profile

djwong

143 posts in 1973 days

#4 posted 10-05-2011 06:13 AM

I really like this video, as he goes through different scenarios of flattening. What I can’t figure out is why he does not become the least bit winded when planning. His plans cut through the wood effortlessly (at one point he says he is planning soft maple). My planes don’t zip through the wood like his.

-- David W. Cupertino, CA

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#5 posted 10-05-2011 07:10 AM

if they don’t zip through the wood they are not set up well or they are dull

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1393 days

#6 posted 10-05-2011 10:59 AM

Donkey: That snow is cold !
Donley 2: .. And it’s deep. too !

#7 posted 10-05-2011 03:51 PM

It is a great video. I’m going to post a review of his other plane video.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#8 posted 10-05-2011 04:24 PM

Published in 1995?? So I can’t get the video in Blue Ray?? Thanks for the review, I’ve read a few books on handplane use, but it would be nice to actually see someone using them, there is only so much that you can pick up from pictures.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

#9 posted 10-05-2011 04:37 PM

Not only see it but hear it as well. The various planes sound different in use.

View mafe's profile

mafe

#10 posted 10-06-2011 12:01 PM

You are dangerous…
Another interesting video, I will look into this.
Thank you.
Mads

View jjw5858's profile

jjw5858

#11 posted 10-07-2011 03:14 AM

HAAAAA….....Yes Don W it’s a 5 1/4 plane, sorry, my typo.

-- "Always continue to learn, laugh and share!" JJW