Ridgid 16 Gal Pro Vac 1851 a real good performer

Review by yrob posted 10-05-2011 12:41 AM 3458 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 16 Gal Pro Vac 1851 a real good performer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This weekend I went and bought a new shop vacuum. My old crappy one from Lowes was not even powerful enough to vacuum plane shavings..

I went to Home Depot and bought their most powerful one. For $159.00 it is money well invested. It comes with a 16 Gallon tank and plenty of accessories. The port is a standard 2 1/2 ” which is one the the reasons I bough it. There are adapters available to go from 2.5 to 4” and hook up to tools like a planner.

This thing is a beast. The suction is so powerful that when trying it in the house on my carpet, I could not lift the vacuum brush off the carpet.. I tried it in my shop and was able to swiftly clean up. It gobbled up everything from wood shavings, dust, pieces of wood, nails, etc..

It is remarkably quiet for the power (6.5 hp). There is another port you can hook up too to make it into a blower.

I am going to hook it up to my 12” planer to see if it can keep up. I suspect it will..

-- Yves

View yrob's profile

yrob

View D1st's profile

D1st

#1 posted 10-05-2011 03:42 AM

Ive had mine for two years now and it works like a champ. No complaints. I added a 15’ hose and with it on wheels and a long cord you can move it all over the place without having to unplug it.

-- http://www.furstwoodworks.com/

View gfadvm's profile (online now)

gfadvm

#2 posted 10-05-2011 04:28 AM

I just favorably reviewed this same unit. Glad to see others like it.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View acducey's profile

acducey

#3 posted 10-05-2011 05:04 AM

More of the same here; it’s a great unit, and much quieter than my puny Shop Vac.

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#4 posted 10-05-2011 09:57 AM

where did you get the 15’ hose, d1st?
i just got the one that is $100 and it is really good. i got the one without the blower.

-- Ben L

View D1st's profile

D1st

#5 posted 10-06-2011 12:52 AM

I got it at home depot. I mistyped as it is a 12’ hose with accesories all for $22

-- http://www.furstwoodworks.com/

View Blair Helgason's profile

Blair Helgason

#6 posted 10-13-2011 09:01 PM

I know this is no replacement for a good dust collector but in your opinion could it work okay? I need something but don’t have the money or more importantly, the space for a dust collector.

-- Blair