Quality of the past is long gone.

Review by Lotidus posted 1031 days ago 3658 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quality of the past is long gone. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have noticed that more often the brand names of tool I have trusted over the years have slacked on the quality they produce. In particular the Stanley FatMax coping saw. I had extreme faith in this tool at first mostly because of the Stanley name. I have owned the tool for about a year and used at most four to five times so it was in relatively new condition. I was using the tool to cut out a curved section on a chair leg. The stock was about 2” thick. I got through the first two legs and noticed the handle was start to bend to one side. I didn’t think anything of it at the time. I got halfway through the third leg and the blade snapped. I have snapped coping saw blades before no biggy that’s why they sell them in packs of five or more. That’s my logic on it anyway. I quickly changed out the blade and was back to work. I finished the third leg and was onto the fourth. I had cut out the first curve and was about an inch from finishing the cut and the handle broke off of the coping saw. The handle was attached by a bolt with a slotted head that holds the blade. The bolt had snapped midpoint leaving half of the bolt in the handle. The bolt screwed into the handle allowing one to tighten the blade tension. The metal used for the bolt appeared to be nickel or some other soft metal definitely not a good tool grade steel. This is the kind of quality I have noticed from Stanley since they have put more of their manufacturing into the hands of China. Yes the made in stamp on the tool I found after the fact was ” Made In China”. That’s not even the most disappointing part of it. When I bought this tool I had a choice to buy a cheaper version for half the price but I put faith in the Stanley name as I had so many time in the past I think next time I’ll just buy the cheap version since they probably both will be made in the same Chinese sweat shop anyway. This is what happens when corporate greed is put ahead of a tradition of quality. Greed + cheap materials + poor construction=broken coping saw and a dissatisfied customer.

-- Lotidus

View Lotidus's profile

Lotidus

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

that’s pretty low. thanks for the review. I wonder what would make the handle break that way though. very strange.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View KnotWright's profile

KnotWright

247 posts in 2093 days

Got to agree here, bought this same saw to replace an older cheaper one that came up missing. Although mine hasn’t broken off at the handle yet… you cannot tighten it very well which leads to wandering cuts. I’m just glad I’m finished coping the crown molding.

Its a shame, in the past you could rely on the Stanley name for some quality.

-- James

View Hartmann's profile

Hartmann

A excellent german-made coping saw, from Lee Valley:

View cabmaker's profile

cabmaker

Your not alone. It seems that many handtools made in the past twenty years are not made to really use. In recent years the condition has become acute. Buy pre 70 s vintage and buy once.

View SamuelP's profile

SamuelP

I got an old Disston coping saw from a Habbitat for Humanity ReStore for .50. New blades for 4.00. Works great.

-- -Sam - Tampa, FL- "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns somthing he can in no other way" -Mark Twain

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Quality and China do not equate!

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

At Amazon, these saws are available in 4 and 6 packs. They cost less than $4 per saw. There was a cheaper one for half the price?

The packages make me think that these saws are intended to be disposable, just like the blades.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

I bought a Kobalt coping saw, before learning about good places to buy tools. I had only used it here and there for some dove tails, but I just used it a LOT for some crown molding. It worked well, and the blade has held up for a year with light use and still cuts well.

View willie's profile

willie

Last Christmas I put together a tool box for my son and his new wife. It was just basic stuff he would need around the house. Other than some Craftsman wrenches, everything else was Stanley. When I unwrapped the tools to put them in the box, EVERY Stanley tool was stamped “Made in China”. I think I’ll go back to buying old tools at the garage sales. Why pay more money for less tool?

-- Every day above ground is a good day!!!

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

that lee valley tool looks just like my very old craftsman saw and an old Stanley. i hate coping saws cause when i was a kid it was the only say my dad left behind when he walked out. i still have his damn saw its 45 years old now maybe older.he died when i was 13 i never forgave him for his being a jerk i believe marriage is for life. my wife wants to leave me after 25years i am pissed about that life isn’t a bowl of cherries take the saw back and tell them you found a good tool at lee valley ill work on the wife id like to keep her

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

View Wes Giesbrecht's profile

Wes Giesbrecht

Do you guys remember when made in Japan meant the item was crap? I sure do.

Give China a couple more years.

I recently bought a Chinese made Fender guitar. Comes as what they call a Strat Pack.
A Strat style electric guitar, case, strap, picks, extra strings, electronic tuner (with battery) and….
a practice amp.
Bought it at one of those liquidation/dollar type stores for $139.95.
I had to set it up, but that’s standard for new guitars.
I didn’t like the satin finish on the neck so I redid it in gloss lacquer. But that’s it.
The neck is straight, the intonation is right, the pots and switch are smooth, it sounds and plays exactly like a Strat should.
I’ve owned two US built Strats in the past. Play this guitar blindfolded and I defy to tell the difference between it and a US built one, prices of which range from $1400 to $2600.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if one day soon we’ll be looking for ‘Made in China’ as a sign of high quality.

-- Wes Giesbrecht http://www.wesgiesbrecht.com/index.htm

View palaswood's profile

palaswood

+1 on the shitty saw

Mine broke after 3 uses. I think I had it… a month?

The mechanism that holds the blade on snapped and fell off, I lost it. Bought a vintage Disston/porter for 13 bucks on ebay. Don’t make them like they used to…

-- Joseph, Lake Forest, CA, http://instagram.com/palas_woodcraft#