|Review by joey bealis||posted 10-04-2011 03:42 PM||4052 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
To start this off i want everyone to know that this is my first lathe and the only one i have ever turned on. Also its the only one i have seen in person. I left the lathe with dust on it so i would not get ragged for having a unused shop. As per request from a patron on this LJ’S i waited a few months after receiving lathe before doing a review. I have turned close to one hundred projects on this lathe so far.
Now for the review lets start with a little information on the lathe. Motor is a 2hp, 220v, 3-phase frequency drive, it runs on 220v single-phase power. Swing is 18” over bed and 47” between centers. Speed range goes from 100-3200 rpm. The shipping weight is around 547 lbs.
The lathe has performed nicely so far with a few small problems. I mostly turns bowls and i have turned a 18” rough bowl on it a few times that was way out of balanced. It handled the pieces well with only a little bit of walking to start i have recently added a ballast box with about another 600 lbs of weight to it and can start a piece at around 300 rpm. The centers line up perfectly on my lathe. I have not been able to overload the motor yet but if i hit a hard snag the belt will slip or my tool will go flying or the bowl will go also. The variable speed works great mine will run at about 30 rpm in the low range but the only time i even get close to that speed is when im putting on a finish.
Now for the problems. When starting my second piece i noticed a small crack around the indexing holes on the head, i believe it came this way and i just didnt notice it at first but i could have done it also. This crack has not been a problem for me and i have not called customer service on it yet and i probably want call either i can live with a crack alot easier than i can do without my lathe for few weeks. I have a friend who is a machinist and will probably get him to make me a steel ring to slip over this. The other issue is the bolt that locks down the tool rest broke after a few months so i just replaced it with a new bolt and will end up making one that i dont have to use a wrench on one day. The only other issue that i have noticed is the nut that holds the banjo on gets loose during use and you have to reach under and tighten lightly every once in awhile but i like that i can remove it without any tools so i want be replacing this with a locking nut.
So in conclusion i have been well pleased with my lathe so far. It has done everything i wanted it too and more. I will post if i have any other issues with the lathe but for a lathe that cost almost a grand less than its nearest competitor i’m very pleased. Please post your comments or questions and i’ll do my best to answer them. Thanks