Initial impression is that this Drill Press Table is okay

Review by RandyMorter posted 1062 days ago 3106 views 3 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Initial impression is that this Drill Press Table is okay Initial impression is that this Drill Press Table is okay Initial impression is that this Drill Press Table is okay Click the pictures to enlarge them

I added this Grizzly H7827 Drill Press Table to my Ridgid DP1550 drill press. I’ve read other reviews that it’s not the best drill press out ther but since I couldn’t figure out what I wanted in a table I decided to spend the $45 or so to try this one and use it for a while to figure out what I want in a drill press table. Plus, the hardware that comes with this table would have cost a bit if I’d bought it separately. I figured if nothing else I’d at least have some t-track and clamps and handles if the table fell apart.

One thing I know for sure that I want in a table, which this and the MLCS and Woodpecker tables have, is aluminum t-track for adjusting the fence. I don’t like the slots routed into MDF – I have that on my little router table and don’t like how it’s wearing after light use over less than a year. I want the longevity of aluminum t-track.

I also like the aluminum fence material that Rockler offers (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22075&filter=fence) for about $35 and plan to get it and their brackets and stop. I like that fence because it can be used upright or laying down, giving you 2 different heights and, in when it’s laying down, it won’t be in the way of the chuck operation. And, it can be used on other things as well.

The other big question I have is how big of a table I need. This one seemed small when I opened it but it’s bigger than the normal DP table and I haven’t started making anything that requires a bigger table so this might be a good size.

There are 2 clamps on the bottom which seem to hold okay. I have to really wrench on the added table to make it twist on the presses table.

Once the table was installed (which took about 20 minutes) I immediately didn’t like how the right fence positioning knob is directly in the way of the handles that raise/lower the chuck. As you rotate the handle to lower the chuck it hits the fence knob. I had to remove at least one of the handles in order to use the press. Since I want to get a different fence anyway, I can see I’ll do that pretty soon. In the meantime, I may get a couple of shorter t-track bolts, drill some holes on the face of the fence so it’ll lay down, and use it that way in order to get more clearance. If/when I make my own table, I’ll at least move the fence t-track in or out so the knobs aren’t right in the path of the chuck’s handles.

Other than that it’s what I expected. The fence and table mount square to the chuck. I only used my Starrett square to test it, but there didn’t appear to be any runout left to right or front to back.
I ordered it direct from Grizzly for $34.95 plus $9.70 shipping on Friday, 9/23/2011, it was shipped on Monday, 9/26/2011 and arrived on Thursday, 9/29/2011 with no damage to the box and everything intact inside. Very quick turn around, IMO.

I’ve used the table to drill some holes for a set of 5 toy airplanes I’ve started. I am VERY pleased with how much faster the operations are. Instead of having to lay out the holes on each piece, I laid the cockpit and propeller holes out on one piece, positioned the fence and stop for the first hole, and then drilled all 5 of them quickly without having to do any additional setup for each of the pieces. I repeated the process for the remaining holes. Very nice! What a time saver – it took some a lot of the tediousness out of the process! (Of course, the pieces have to all be machined the same so this will work. All my plane body pieces were between 2.223 to 2.226 inches wide.)

I gave it 4 stars because, after less than a week, it seems to be doing what it should. If I have problems with it in the future I’ll update this review.

Update, 10/4/2011

The table is already falling apart. I’ve had it less than one week. As mentioned below, one of the flanges on the bottom of the table that holds the bolt for the clamps that hold it to the drill press table is pulling out from the table. What a bummer. The flange is held in with 3 wood screws into the (what looks like) MDF. I didn’t really tighten the clamps that much either, but I had to tilt the drill press table to drill a hole at an angle and the Grizzly table slipped so I tightened it down a bit more and felt the flange give.

Still, I don’t mind the top so far (at least until the t-track rips out). I may try to screw and glue some hardwood to the bottom of the Grizzly table and re-mount the flanges in it.

I dropped the number of stars to 1. I can’t recommend this unless you just want to get it to use for a week and then count on having some hardware.

Update 10/9/2011

I decided to keep this table and modify it. Like I said above, I half expected it to have problems. On the one hand I think I like this size (I don’t really want to take up the room of a bigger table and at least for now I’m NOT drilling anything very big). On the other hand, when I look at the other tables and see they’re basically the same (except the Woodpecker version mounts the t-track with bolts, washers, and nuts) I don’t think I’ll get much better even if I spend the extra $100 or so to get a woodpecker. So…

I decided to put a couple of pieces of 3/4” x 3-1/2” poplar under the table. I removed the t-track and drilled the mounting holes all the way through the table. I drilled matching holes in the poplar so that I could run some machine screws with washers and bolts through the table and poplar. This attaches the poplar piece to the bottom AND gives me the Woodpecker setup for the t-track.

Then, I removed the 4 under-table mounting flanges from the Grizzly and re-mounted all 4 on the poplar pieces so that I could use 4 clamps to the drill press table. I attached the flanges to the poplar using machine screws, washers, and nuts as well, in a recess in the poplar between the grizzly table and the poplar.

I ended up having to add some additional stips along the poplar to mate with the drill press table in order to get some clearance, and I needed additional pieces outside the poplar for the clamp to rest against. These last pieces are just hot glued to the bottom of the grizzly table since they don’t have much movement.

The end result is that I’ve got 4 clamps holding the grizzly table to the drill press (well, I will when the extra clamps come in from Grizzly). Neither the t-track or the mounts rely on screw threads in wood grain (or MDF grain) to hold anything. I think this should last quite a while. Now I just need to get that other fence…

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

View RandyMorter's profile

RandyMorter

That was my first do table. I too hated the msg t track in the fence. The hold downs on the bottom fell out of the mdf making it useless.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

Send it back/ call and tell them you aren’t happy with it. I’ll be surprised if they don’t refund your $ or send you another.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View RandyMorter's profile

RandyMorter

@gfadvm – yeah, I think I will. I went out to look at it again and decided I shouldn’t have to screw around with it to make it work. Glad I kept the packaging.

I didn’t want to spend for a woodpecker but I may have to.

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

Randy, Believe it or not, I bought a HF DP table and have been very happy with it (and I’m a big Grizz fan). I used it today and it works as well as it did when I bought it a couple of years ago. It looks a lot like yours but I don’t have the interference problem you had. My DP was made in 1976 so is probably a lot different than yours. On its second motor but still a good worker.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm