|Review by SPHinTampa||posted 10-03-2011 09:41 PM||8025 views||0 times favorited||14 comments|
- Harbor Freight - 60" Hardwood Workbench with 4 Drawers
- Brand: Harbor Freight | Category: Other
My homemade workbench top (my first big project) gave up a few weeks ago. I saw an advertizement for this and had a coupon for 20% off so net price for the work bench came out to $129 …. not a bad price.
- Assembly is solid .. .I was worried it would be flimsy and it is not
- Vice quality is acceptable
- 1/2” bench dog holes that are spaced inconvienently far apart
- Either I am bad at assembly or the mounting hardware is slightly off … i had trouble keeping assembly square.
- Oddly complicated drawer slide system … compounded with the out of square assembly makes for difficult to open drawers
Overall, I think that solid and stable are the two most important characteristics of a workbench. And this unit is both of those things. The out of square underside assembly did not translate to an out of square surface or wobbly legs.
From a convenience of use perspective, I am going to add some after market holes and look at expanding to 3/4” size. No room for a front mounted vise. I will probably try to fiddle with the assembly to see if I can get the drawers to work better.
Net of it … I think if you did a lot of handtool work, this would not be a good option. As a resting place for my powertools and a place to glue up projects, it works just fine.
-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn