Power Carving - No Chisels required.

Review by Karson posted 03-01-2008 06:30 AM 2992 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Power Carving - No Chisels required. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I was asked to make a frame for Mark’s Memorial I wanted to do an inlay and I bought a router base that is used in the string instrument industry. It uses a Dremel of a Fordem as the power source. I select the Foredom option. That required the purchase of another new tool. So thats not all bad.

I bought the #5200 model

It contains two hand pieces, but neither of them would fit on the router base i selected, so I had to purchase a hand piece that fit the router base. The Router base MFG sells the Foredom hand piece.

The power head is 1/6hp and runs with speeds up to 18,000 rpt. It comes with a heavy duty foot speed control. It sticks to the floor and doesn’t move around.

It also comes with 3 DVD’s with master carver Frank Russell (a $29.95 retail value).
on power carving, but I haven’t looked at them yet.

The tool is very nice and has lots of accessories, available for purchase.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19445 posts in 2502 days

#1 posted 03-01-2008 07:53 AM

Thats a great looking tool Karson. Are there any particular safety concerns?.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Richard Williams's profile

Richard Williams

#2 posted 03-01-2008 06:22 PM

I haven’t the foggiest idea of what it is and what it does but good luck with it buddy. Post a picture for me to see what it can do. I’m better with metal than I am with wood. Spent a lifetime installing metallic conduits and other electrical raceways. Bye for now Karson.

-- Rich, Nevada,

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#3 posted 03-01-2008 06:36 PM

Karson, I have the StewMac base set up for a Dremmel. The Dremmel seems to have a sloppy bearing or something, and the bit ‘flops around’ a little. Is the Fordem pretty solid?

View Dadoo's profile

Dadoo

#4 posted 03-01-2008 07:52 PM

I’ve been wondering about this one since I posted my review of my Craftsman. Looks like a good carving tool. Thanx for the review.

-- Bob Vila would be so proud of you!

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#5 posted 03-01-2008 08:01 PM

Nice tool, you should be able able to do some great stuff with it.

The Dove inlays were terrific.

#6 posted 03-01-2008 08:42 PM

Rikkor. You have a flexible shaft and so what you are holding is a hand piece with a 3/8” shaft (like a speedometer cable) So you don’t have all of the weight in your hand. like with a Dremell. I think that Dremell also sells a flexible shaft.

If you look at the picture of the #5200 model it might give you an idea. And you basically use dental type drills in the hand piece.

The only safety concerns that I’m aware of Grumpy would be a bit spinning at 18,000 rpm a few inches from your hands. You use Dental type drills for carving, There may be hundreds of different kinds.

View jsylvan's profile

jsylvan

1 post in 1919 days

#7 posted 06-15-2009 03:08 AM

RIKKOR
I’m not sure if you are referring to the flexible shaft or the actual Dremel body itself, but I may be able to help and/or enlighten ;-}

Yes, the bearing in the Dremel is notoriously sloppy right out of the box. It’s not the actual bearings but the housing that is not tight enough within the body of the tool. It’s an easy fix though. Simply crack the body (just a few screws – easy to do.) then take a thin piece of plastic or even a piece of paper and give it a wrap around the bearing housing. A small piece of scotch tape holds it in place. Put it back together. It should fit nice and snug, but you shouldn’t have to force it back together. Screw it all back together and it should work like a dream with absolutely no slop at all. IF there is still some play, just repeat the process with a thicker shim of paper/plastic or give it another wrap (or 1/2 a wrap) with the material you have already used the first go around.
I believe a Google search will even locate step by step instructions of the process with pictures and everything. I have done this with every Dremel I have ever owned and NEVER had any problems. I know that it has been done by countless other folks as well and I have never heard of anyone having trouble with the fix. All you are doing is tightening up the fit. Nothing that rotates or heats up ever touches the shim. (So don’t worry about it bursting into flames or anything ;-) Hope this helps

View Theo's profile

Theo

#8 posted 11-09-2013 07:39 AM

Has the Foredom turned out to be a good investment for power carving? I presume it takes practice to develop skills. Is it easy to become proficient?

-- Theo -- Belleville, MI

#9 posted 11-09-2013 01:46 PM

I’ve not been an active user of the tool. But it has plenty of power to carve through the materials.. I’ve used a Stew-Mac router base with it and been able to cut out inlays and insert them fairly accurately.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#10 posted 11-09-2013 04:50 PM

Karson, I bought one of those a while back and I agree that they are an impressive looking tool and I have read many good things that have been said about them. Unfortunately I have not had time yet to do anything with it but I am anxious to see what it can do. Thanks for the review.

helluvawreck aka Charles