Perfect Home 4 in. Industrial Casters (4-Pack) ... An Accidental Find

Review by David Grimes posted 10-02-2011 10:30 AM 4316 views 4 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Perfect Home 4 in. Industrial Casters (4-Pack) ... An Accidental Find Perfect Home 4 in. Industrial Casters (4-Pack) ... An Accidental Find Perfect Home 4 in. Industrial Casters (4-Pack) ... An Accidental Find Click the pictures to enlarge them

Previously, my other caster wheels I’ve used were ordered on-line from Rockler and I have been pleased.

Friday, I wondered what casters were available locally (Lowe’s, Home depot, Ace, Tractor Supply, etc.). I used the internet to check out their line-ups, price and in-stock availability. I found pretty slim pickings. The few possibles I came across (as far as rating and size) were a ridiculous price each… and I needed twelve !

But, I came across these on the Home Depot site, where it reported that they had 14 sets in my store at a price of $19.97 per set of four (two locking and two swiveling).

Off I go straight to the hardware section where all (we thought) the casters reside, but these were not there. I ask the associate in that area if that is all they have. He says yes. As I was heading back towards the middle of the store, I saw a young guy and asked him if he knew where casters might be other than in hardware. He said no, so then I told him that the internet said they had 14 sets. We went to a computer and he got on line, found the store SKU#, entered that in his little hand-held gizmo, then told me that they were in the industrial shelving area located in the far corner of the store behind flooring. We went there and sure enough, there they were.

I got three sets of these. They are rated at 600 pounds maximum capacity (plenty for my needs) and have the 3/8” threaded posts that I need for the three Ridgid tools I have put them on. Two of the four in each set are the locking type. The nuts are even the same size and TPI as what the Ridgid leveling feet had on them. I added one nut to the post, put that into the base, then added one lock washer and finally the tightening nut.

I had a bit of reservation about putting wheels on these machines, but now know that the locks hold them still as I work. I’ve since bored 21 cup hinge forstner holes, then made two 6” MDF circles on the drill press with no wheel-on-the-machine-related problems at all. The ones on the jointer-planer got the locking wheels on the left end since I’ll always be pushing material right to left across the cutters. The DP and TS got them on the front positions.

It turns out that these are made to be sold as an accessory to the Perfect Home industrial chrome metal racks that the largest of which has a 3600 pound overall weight capacity rating.

As an added bonus: See the included four thick plastic rings that are not required for anything to do with putting these wheels on shop tools ? Well, I have twelve of those. i just set them aside.

Later, I had to stain and finish four oak table edge trim pieces and was about to grab either a stack of the yellow painters pyramids… or give the Rockler Bench Cookie Cones their first day in the sun… when I glanced these wider-than-tall, raised-a-bit-in-the-center things. They were great for the flat trim and all the brushing I was doing to them.

I like these. They meet all my needs at a very reasonable local price. I have the feeling there will be more in my future. I recommend these casters for those who may need them.

Thanks for stopping in.

DG

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#1 posted 10-02-2011 01:53 PM

TFS. I never would have thought to check HD. In fact I never check them for anything.

(Up to now I’ve been buying casters from Grizzly.)

-- Joe

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#2 posted 10-02-2011 02:53 PM

It’s true that HD sells a lot of crap, but there are always a few gems mixed in with the rocks. Next time I go I’ll have to look for these. I’ve purchased some from the big box stores in the past, but as you pointed out, the good ones are priced outrageously.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

#3 posted 10-02-2011 05:03 PM

Looks like a great find !
Are the wheels themselves 4” or is that the overall height ?

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5218 posts in 2030 days

#4 posted 10-02-2011 05:15 PM

I have the same wheel syo uare talking about. I bought 3 sets of the same industrial shelving from Sams for storge and have the wheels that came with them. Vert well constructed.

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#5 posted 10-02-2011 08:57 PM

That is the cleanest jointer I have ever seen.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View REL's profile

REL

#6 posted 10-02-2011 10:41 PM

Check out Harbor Freight casters. I use the stemmed 3” and 4” locking type on all the wheels. You can’t lock the swivel, but the stationary lock is fine. By the way, I use Rockler table frame pieces to build work tables and the Harbor Freight casters. The setup is a perfect height as an out feed table for my SawStop.

Sorry, but too lazy to take pictures.

I bought the Harbor Freight casters for between $2.59 and $4.50 each? depending on the sale.

-- REL, North Jersey

#7 posted 10-02-2011 11:28 PM

@Dusty56, The wheels are 4”. The effective height installed / added is 4.75 inches (not including the threaded stem).

Hey, guys… I don’t mean to imply that we should all go get these and never order from Grizzly or Rockler or HG or Northern Tool, etc. I have and will continue to do that as well. This was just one of those where I wanted them immediately and wondered IF I could get that instant gratification locally without harsh monetary penalty (a lot to ask, I know). But for once, it panned out and I didn’t have to wait for UPS, Fedex or USPS to deliver next Wednesday. These are the size, style, rating and price that I was hoping for.

@Routerisstillmyname, It IS pretty shiny. Hang tag still dangling from it, too. It ought to be clean, because it’s only a couple of months old, only used once to set up. It’s just waiting for me to finish the table saw mods and table so I can re-saw some firewood and such.

#8 posted 10-02-2011 11:34 PM

thanks for the specs , DG : )

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#9 posted 10-03-2011 03:49 AM

David – I have the same jointer you have and had a problem when I put casters on it. It is pretty top heavy and the base is pretty narrow front to back. Yep, you guessed it. I tipped it over while moving it across the shop. Luckily no damage but I did build a caster base with a wider footprint which is much more stable. That thing is heavy and could have hurt itself when it tipped over. I was lucky. Learn from my mistakes. It’s cheaper and safer that way! Good luck and work safe.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#10 posted 10-03-2011 03:59 AM

@gfadvm, Thanks for the warning. I know you are right, so I will be careful. Luckily, all three of these tools will spend their lives within five feet of their current position. I just need to be able to push them back less then 3 feet to open the garage door when handling large sheet goods at the TS and/or long lumber at the larger router table.

I will be careful. Thanks.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#11 posted 10-03-2011 05:45 AM

David, My wreck occured when I hit a tiny piece of something with one of the casters while rolling it sideways.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View tomd's profile

tomd

#12 posted 10-03-2011 06:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up Dave, I need a set right now and now I know where to find them.

-- Tom D

#13 posted 10-03-2011 08:51 AM

@gfadvm, I would have bet the farm that it tipped over sideways like yours did and not long ways. Kind of like an elephant tripping on a thimble. You are lucky it didn’t land on any part of you. Damn thing is heavy for sure.

@tomd, hope you like ‘em.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#14 posted 10-06-2011 03:08 AM

Don’t get any rust cleaner on that orange paint or it will show yellow primer.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

#15 posted 10-06-2011 05:27 AM

Dreaded DeWalt yellow ? Oh, No ! ;=)