Rockler Fluting Jig. It works

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 09-30-2011 02:08 AM 3488 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Fluting Jig. It works No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Saddled with the idea of making fluted casings for a bedroom and eventually for the rest of the house, I decided to splurge and pick up Rockler’s fluting jig. I must say that after a little practice on some scrap to get used to it then finishing off a bedroom, it works nicely.

The Jig is well made. It is constructed of phenol ply and has knobs to tighten and adjust that have metal inserts. To make a flute you set your router in it and adjust the jig so that two rails ride on both sides of the wood. A rewritable strip lets you mark where you want to adjust the router to make multiple flutes. You can write on it with no.2 pencil and it erases nicely afterwards.
The unit slides on wood easily with no friction to jerk the unit or make irregular cuts.
I must admit that I needed to make marks carefully then still adjust them by trying it out on scrap wood. The unit is tight and holds it’s settins. Once done though it made consistent flutes through two door and window casings.

The only issue is that it had holes for some routers but not for my Bosh. I understand that it can’t be full of holes for all routers. The existing holes were probably for a Porter Cable. So, it took a little work to drill the thick plastic and mount my router in the jig.

I am satisfied with this product. I purchased it at 20% discount with a coupon which made it better. It has done what I wanted and I will be using it throughout the rest of the house during my remodeling.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

View maljr1980's profile

maljr1980

#1 posted 09-30-2011 03:14 AM

i’ve often wondered how that jig works. i’ve always done it on a router table with a stop block mounted to the fence to start a plunge cut and then a line to stop the board and turn off the motor. i usually leave 2 inches on the top, and 6 inches on the bottom with out the flute

#2 posted 09-30-2011 05:28 AM

Looking great.

View redryder's profile

redryder

#3 posted 09-30-2011 02:25 PM

Those window trims look great. No one would know you did it yourself. I have the same style around all the windows in my shop but store bought. You made a good choice…........

-- mike...............

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#4 posted 09-30-2011 06:48 PM

Nice looking woodwork…...........thanks for the info re the jig…........

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#5 posted 10-03-2011 09:00 PM

Thanks for posting this, very helpful

I have been wanting one of these.

I don’t see making many flutes, but hey when you need a better way. . . . .

-- Mike