Loving this sander

Review by sgtq posted 09-29-2011 09:54 PM 4636 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Loving this sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this belt sander from a big box store the other day for 170.00 plus 10% off for my military discount. I am fairly new to woodworking (about 1 year) so I dont know alot of terms but I’ll try and get this review done in laymans terms.. To start I am loving this sander, Its my first one so I may be biased but it has really opened up what I can accomplish in my small shop. So heres my review based on things I thought were important

Packing and Setup: Inside the box was the Sander body, 2 fences with attachment bolts, Manuel, Miter Gauge. The packing was excellent all parts individually wrapped and sandwiched in tight fitting foam cutouts, the setup was exactly as I prefer EASY. Out of the box the only thing needing to be done was attaching the two fences. The Sanding belt and Disc were already in place and the fences attached easily with only one bolt each and some minor adjustments to the marking point for the angles.

Construction: The entire body of the sander is either aluminum or steel, ( I dont know which but I assume aluminum) It seems solid and well built and has very minimal vibration when running even with out attaching it to a surface. The only plastic is on the shroud that surrounds the belt and that doesnt seem to matter much. A con here is that the adjustment knob for the tracking is also plastic and seems a bit flimsy, I think that may be a problem in the future. The fences seem solid and aligned fairly well out of the box, like I said before little adjustments had to be made to the marking arrows for the angles. I love the little miter guage and think it will come in quite handy.

Function: This sander works quite well for my needs, as stated before very little vibration and close to no movement just sitting on my bench. Fences are easy to adjust/remove if wanted. The sanding belt easily transitions from standing up to laying down. Belt tracks well once adjusted and is easily adjusted with the plastic knob while running. (once again I think this knob is going to be trouble) I think they could have made the on/off switch a bit bigger but its not a problem so far. Overall as I said before this is a great sander for my shop and I think it will hold up for a long time.

-- There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America. ~William J. Clinton

View sgtq's profile

sgtq

View Popsnsons's profile

Popsnsons

#1 posted 09-30-2011 05:54 AM

I have my eye on the same sander. I’m interested to hear any other comments. I’m glad your review was positive. Good luck with your projects.

-- Pops ~ In So Cal...

#2 posted 09-30-2011 06:21 PM

Can’t tell if aluminum or steel ? Try a magnet on it : )

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#3 posted 09-30-2011 06:23 PM

Thanks for this. I was considering this guy but was skeptical.
Off subject a bit but does anyone know if Lowe’s/HD gives a law enforcement discount?
If anyone knows for certain, a pm would be appreciated. Thanks!

#4 posted 09-30-2011 06:27 PM

Bertha , why not call their courtesy desk and ask ? : )

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#5 posted 09-30-2011 06:32 PM

That’s no fun at all, Dusty;)

View WoodSimplyMade's profile

WoodSimplyMade

188 posts in 2039 days

#6 posted 09-30-2011 09:09 PM

I have this same sander. Owned it about 6-8 months now. I have always been a fan to Poter Cable. I compared this sander to some other lower end sanders from Lowes and Home Depot and the way this Porter Cable is built it is well worth it. Very little plastic parts unlike its competitors. Also it has a larger round sanding disk at 8” vs the 6” the competitors provide. Definately would buy it again!

Hope this helps!

-- Mike, Florida, http://www.woodsimplymade.com

View matthewcressey's profile

matthewcressey

#7 posted 05-01-2013 01:12 AM

I have the same sander and it’s amazing. The plastic knob hasn’t turned out to be a problem in the year I’ve owned it. I have only good things to say about it.

View Popsnsons's profile

Popsnsons

#8 posted 05-01-2013 10:27 PM

Update to my 1st post. “I had my eye on the same sander” I own one now and would recommend it to anyone who is on the fence to buy this one or not.

-- Pops ~ In So Cal...