Cheap, effective, edge inspector,frugal woodworking

Review by scueplain posted 1061 days ago 1524 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cheap, effective, edge inspector,frugal woodworking No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a old movie projector lens that I use for inspecting the edges of my tools. You can also use a camera lens for the same thing. I got mine at goodwill. These are fairly powerful (maybe 12X)and high quality. You do have to get close to your work for them to focus. I like this better than my 30 dollar hand lens.

-- Dave,Portland OR

View scueplain's profile

scueplain

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

That’s a cool way to re purpose something that would otherwise be thrown out.
My personal tool edge inspector is the hairs on my arm. If they get shaved off, then its sharp enough for me.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

My edge inspector is the wood I’m working on. If the tool cuts well, its sharp enough. I wouldn’t even know what a sharp edge looked like if I looked at it through a lens. WHat can I say…...I’m a primate.

View scueplain's profile

scueplain

It is also good for splinters if you don’t want to inspect edges. You would be surprised how rough the edge looks even if you can shave with it.

-- Dave,Portland OR