The Galbert Caliper (The Turner's Tape Measure)

Review by David Grimes posted 933 days ago 2639 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Galbert Caliper (The Turner's Tape Measure) The Galbert Caliper (The Turner's Tape Measure) The Galbert Caliper (The Turner's Tape Measure) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know, I know I just started turning. But when I saw this I knew it was the way to go (since spindles and legs are my goal) and I knew I’d need to stop and measure diameter lot of times on each one.

I almost got one of the double calipers, but they require one hand to hold and the other to measure the outboard end. This is easily one handed and you read the diameter, lay it down and keep on going.

It has already told me that I am highly accurate, but not smooth or fast yet…

Yep… 3/4 of an inch

inch and 1/8 here…

inch and 1/2 here…

TOO EASY !!!

It is built like a troop carrier (not frail) and is easy to calibrate. It was $86.50 shipped. I love it already.

The web site is at: http://www.petergalbertchairmaker.com/galbertcaliper.html

Be sure and watch the videos. This guy can turn very quickly and accurately for sure.

5 Stars only because they don’t have 6 available.

View philip marcou's profile

philip marcou

That is cheating and you should have mastered the “correct” way before buying that item. The correct way is to turn a minimum of 10000 spindles first, without that item. (;)
So now how are you going to remember all the different diameters ?? Does that item talk? (;)
But it does look like a good item to have….

2071 posts in 1138 days

ah, Philip… good to hear from you. I’ll let you in on a secret. It indeed does not talk, but I have a great echo in my cavernous garage, so I just call them out in order from left to right and retrieve the information from the airwaves as needed. ;=)

Seriously, I’m thinking an erasable “story stick” will be the thing to have / make. I’ll figure out something, unless a good cyber (or other) friend tells me a better way.

View rance's profile

rance

I’m glad you like it. I drooled all over my computer screen when they first came out. I even designed it up in SketchUp with plans to build my own. It never happened(yet). I guess I got over it. Maybe one day though. :)

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View David Kirtley's profile

David Kirtley

If you want reusable, just paint a stick with gloss enamel and use dry erase markers. Go with a cheap yardstick and you can use the other side for measuring.

-- Woodworking shouldn't cost a fortune: http://lowbudgetwoodworker.blogspot.com/

2071 posts in 1138 days

That’s much too logical and easy… how ‘bout maybe a 48” locking contour gauge with dry erase magnetic base ?

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

we old folks had something just as accurate years ago..open end wrenches…totally reuseable & can be used for what they were designed to do too! But glad you like what you bought…enjoy turning

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

344 posts in 1930 days

I’m envious. I still get nervous using a caliper while with the spindle spinning. I do use the open end wrench method a lot and that works very well, but there are times when you need something a little thinner than a 1/4” to get into the fine work. I’m sure this would work well for that, but still a little pricey for me. I’m saving my pennies for a 16” Longworth chuck from Woodline. That’s something I definitely need and would save a ton of time on the bowl bottom cleanup.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

2071 posts in 1138 days

michelletwo, What for and how do you use open end wrenches ?