Craftsman 12" bandsaw

Review by mustang958 posted 1060 days ago 7925 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman 12" bandsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello fellow lumber jocks! Scored a Craftsman 12” bandsaw and mobile base this weekend off of CL. $50 for the saw and $10 for the base plus the owner still had the original manual. When I went to check it out it had been sitting in a basement unused for at least a year. It had the usual crud buildup on the table from sitting there but I could see that there were only a few spots of rust on the table itself. Plugged it in and it fired right up and made a nice straight cut with no blade waver. Everything was tight and looked in good shape. There’s some rust here and there but other than that it was in good condition and could see it was taken care of. Also it had a fence and small miter gauge. Spent Saturday morning getting it home as I had to get the base off to get it out of the basement. I ended up having to cut some of the bolts off to remove the base so I decided to replace all of the bolts with hex heads to make it easier to remove the base in the future if necessary. Spent Sunday morning cleaning it up and getting it back together. Really happy with this purchase and looking forward to using it on some upcoming projects. From everything I could find it seems like a decent piece of equipment that’s popular. For what I need it for it will serve me just fine. I had at one time a bench top Delta bandsaw that just absolutely sucked. Could never get it aligned and properly tensioned. I always had to be careful when cutting due to both the blade moving or the chance of it popping off of the wheels. Wanted something bigger but I just didn’t want to spend the money on a 14” saw, I couldn’t see the need. Thought about another bench top model and started reading reviews on Friday. Just about every answer said buy used so I thought what the heck let me check CL. Must have been my lucky day. Not only was this saw still available but the owner lived in town a few miles away. Now it’s in my shop. I think the only thing I may have to do other than buying a particular blade here or there is replace the tires and get some new blade guides. Since these parts are all still available from the Sears parts site it should be no problem to change these out and maybe have some spares on hand. So another nice addition for my shop. Will be posting some pictures of the shop in the future as I’m finally getting it straightened up and set up.

Thanks for looking,
George

View mustang958's profile

mustang958

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

I have one just like it. I have really enjoyed mine for the last year or so. I do mostly resawing of hard woods with it and use 1/2” x 80” 3TPI blades.
It cuts through Osage Orange like it was butter and I’ve never had problems with a wandering blade.

One thing you need to do if it’s been sitting very long, order a new belt. Also check the pulley on lower wheel. This saw is famous for that pulley wobbling and getting egged out of shape. Sears doesn’t sell or make that replacement pulley any more. The best way to fix it is to have it bored and a bushing installed with a keyway.

Good Luck on your new toy! They are a really good saw for the price!

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View mustang958's profile

mustang958

Thanks for the input and the advice. The belt was something I hadn’t even thought about. I will definitely add that to the list when I order parts. And I will be sure to check out the pully. I’m not sure how long it’s been sitting but I’d rather order these items and have them to change than to be in the middle of a project and end up having to wait. Thanks!

George

View Oldwest's profile

Oldwest

I had one of these for 18 years before I upgraded last year, it worked great for most projects.

It was interesting because the who head moves when you cut an angle on it but once you get
used to it it works fine. I put a tooth brush on the wheel to keep it clean and put some Cool Blocks
on to make it cut a little better but a great basic machine.

You did well.

-- Anyone who isn’t totally confused just doesn’t understand the situation.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2382 posts in 2062 days

I’ve got the 14”, had it for 35 years and it’s still running. I don’t resaw trees with it but for regular use it’s great.

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

See if Carter has blade guides for it, they will make for a great upgrade. I have them on a Skil bench top.

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

View MakerofSawdust's profile

MakerofSawdust

I also have the same saw and was very disappointed for a long time. It was basically delegated to menial, non-precise work. I had been using multiple different blades over the years then I got the Wood Slicer Resaw blade from Highland Woodworking this past year. Now I love my bandsaw! I’ve had to replace a couple of the guide bearings, but that’s it. You can get top quality guides for it, but they cost more than the saw. I now resaw 9” walnut without any effort and it’s straight and smooth. It’s a great saw for the money.

-- - Kevin from Cincinnati. All my work is guaranteed: Three minutes or three feet; whichever comes first.

View sgtq's profile

sgtq

I have this exact saw, I took it off its base and built a mobile base and I love it, (the base is in my projects gallery) One question, would you happen to have the model number of the fence, as I dont have one and would like to try and find one.

-- There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America. ~William J. Clinton

View GlennsGrandson's profile

GlennsGrandson

I just bought one of these off of CL sight unseen. The lady says her husband was a woodworker and mainly did furniture and didn’t hardly use this as much as he anticipated. She said she could probably count on one hand how many times he used it. It probably just needs a little cleaning up. I’m really excited to pick it up this evening. My first bandsaw, I’ve been scouting CL twice a day for a month looking for something like this. Hopefully your’s is still doing well for you.

-- Grant - S/N Dakota

View joewilliams's profile

joewilliams

I just got one of these for free…need to replace the missing lower thrust bearing and come up with a fence of some kind. I’ll definitely be looking into the Wood Slicer Blade mentioned above.

-- Joe - - - something witty should go here - - -

View Howarddavidp's profile

Howarddavidp

I also got one for free. The previous owner did not want to try and fix the lower pulley problem, so he gave the saw to me. I took it apart and inspected everything, looks like it is all there, just need to figure out what to do for the pulley. I hope to put it all back together and have it work over the winter, this is a cold weekend’s project for me. I was able to get all the frozen and rusted bolts out with an impact driver, so when I re-assemble it will be with stainless hex bolts to make things easier to service in the future. Mine has the electronics, so it will tell you the blade rpm’s and the angle adjustment of the blade, seems nice and it all worked when I stripped it down. I was not able to cut b/c of the pulley, but I think I can improvise a pully from something else.

Dave

View mountainaxe's profile

mountainaxe

I’ve never used a band-saw in my shop, but have been looking to try one for a while. Reviews about this Craftsman model were relatively positive and, since they are available and cheap, I kept my eye out for one. This month, I noticed this exact model on Craigslist for $75 just a few miles from my home being sold by the original owner. It included paperwork, manual, and fence. I picked it up and am pleased so far. I didn’t care for the rather flimsy metal stand, so replaced it with a mobile wooden stand I fabricated to match the height of my work counter (which extends the table by 8’). Seems like a good “starter” unit, so I’m excited about putting it to use!

-- Jeff, "The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me."

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

These are just classic tools. This Sears BS was sold by the thousands and they just have a cool look to them. Glad to hear they work well. I have a Ridgid 14inch BS but for some reason always admired that Sears saw.

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View burlbeginner's profile

burlbeginner

anyone know what price these ran brand new? I’m looking at one on cl for $150 with less than 10hrs or work on it. Anyone think it’s a good buy?