Wood Slicer

Review by CartersWhittling posted 09-22-2011 10:10 PM 5876 views 2 times favorited 27 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood Slicer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello. I just got a new Wood Slicer Resaw blade from Highland Woodworking. After reading the setup and description of the blade I put it in my bandsaw and used a scrap 8/4 piece of oak to set the drift angle. Then I put a 10” maple log through the saw. Here is some pictures of the log I cut. The right half was done with a resaw blade that I got with my bandsaw from the previous owner and the left half is with the wood slicer.

A little nicer I think.

I bought both a 1/2” wide and 3/4” blade. It cuts very smooth and quickly aswell. Its also so quiet that my sister in her bedroom directly above the garage could not hear it. For anyone looking for a good resaw blade look no further.

-- And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord... Colossians 3:23 http://carterswhittling.wordpress.com/

View CartersWhittling's profile

CartersWhittling

#1 posted 09-22-2011 10:32 PM

Nice. I’ve had my new blade on my porch for almost a week, since I’ve been sick and haven’t gotten the chance to install it.. Have you tested the 1/2” vs the 3/4”? What band saw do you have?

View CartersWhittling's profile

CartersWhittling

#2 posted 09-22-2011 10:35 PM

I have only tried the 3/4” I’m sure the 1/2” isn’t much different, but only guessing. I have a 16” Laguna bandsaw with a 2.5hp motor. If you go to my workshop you can see it.

#3 posted 09-22-2011 10:38 PM

Sweet deal. I just scored a 16” Grizzly industrial that is a few years old and still running what looks like the original blade.. Definitely jealous of that Laguna tho.

View lashing's profile

lashing

#4 posted 09-23-2011 12:43 AM

I have been thinking of trying this blade for awhile but thought it was all hype. Thanks for the review and info.

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

#5 posted 09-23-2011 01:00 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words. Nice review. I used the woodslicer, then used the wolverine, and I didn’t like it so I went back to the woodslicer and couldn’t be happier. My favorite blade. I have a 103” 1/2” woodslicer for the G0555 14” with riser.

Lashing, it’s definitely not hype. It really does cut through wood like butter.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

#6 posted 09-23-2011 03:21 AM

The wood slicer is a great blade and does what it says it does, makes a beat up BS saw like a caddy.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

#7 posted 09-23-2011 08:10 AM

I have had a 3/4 and 1/2 wood slicer for a while. and from my impression the sharpness doesn’t hold very long. I have been cutting 11” mahogany boards. Though they seem to do a great job resawing, I just hope they would last longer.

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 1919 days

#8 posted 09-24-2011 01:40 AM

Awesome review. Mine just shipped this week, it was on back order. I was hoping to get it for this weekend. Now I really can’t wait for the mail to get here.

thanks,

c

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View twoblacklabs's profile

twoblacklabs

#9 posted 09-24-2011 02:28 AM

Great way to do a review. Simple, to the point and with PICS!

-- If You Haven't Got the Time to Do It Right, When Will You Find the Time to Do It Over?

View Pdub's profile

Pdub

#10 posted 09-24-2011 06:22 AM

Have to remember this when its time to buy new blades. Thanks!

-- Paul, North Dakota, USAF Ret.

#11 posted 09-24-2011 07:23 PM

How many pounds of tension are you able to put on it?
I cannot really be too sure how much tension is enough or measure it properly, but the Rikon has a gauge of tension. for 3/4 I tensioned it just enough to read 3/4 on the gauge. for the 1/2 I reached 5/8 on the gauge since it gave me the 1/8 to 1/4 deflection…

#12 posted 09-25-2011 04:28 AM

I swapped to the 3/4” Wood Slicer blade today on my G1538. I could not believe how quiet it was or how gorgeous of a finish it left. I resawed a piece of maple (3” wide or so and 3’ long) in less than 10 seconds. The finish was better than what my old table saw left. I ran some 4.5” wide, 1/4” thick cedar lining through on its side and was able to resaw it into 3 pieces. This is the finish it left behind in this super-soft wood:

My hand as a reference:

#13 posted 09-25-2011 08:22 AM

At 3/4 you should be about 15 thousand pounds
At that tension, with a new blade, you ought not to have to compensate for drift, but rather to have the fence perfectly aligned with the blade. I suspect that if you have to tweak the fence then, it’s all in the guides holding the blade at a slight angle.

I did compensate for the blade drift. and tweaked just about everything there is to tweak on the bs. bearing spacing, fence alignment (corresponding to blade drift), even checked the table for squareness (which it wasn’t) but was able to shim it a bit, checked tracking on both top and bottom wheels. Though I wasn’t able to check top wheel against the bottom wheel for squareness ( I don’t have a straight edge that is long enough).
I do love the blade (I have cleaned it twice also) but it does dull a bit fast. I would buy it again though, but will try another first.

View Victor708's profile

Victor708

44 posts in 1979 days

#14 posted 09-26-2011 04:02 PM

Great blade, I’ve been using the 3/4” on my 18” jet for a few month now and I love it.

-- "If a man is alone in the forrest with no woman to hear him. Is he still Wrong?" http://www.hawkinswoodworking.com

View Chris Love's profile

Chris Love

#15 posted 09-26-2011 08:54 PM

I just received mine…I hope to install it tonight!

-- Chris, Bremerton, WA