Ryobi 12 in. Drill Press

Review by NewEnglandsWoodWorks posted 1042 days ago 5632 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ryobi 12 in. Drill Press No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last year I a ryobi 12 in. drill press for $120 dollars. I have to say I am very happy with it and it has not let me down yet. I do recommend buying this 12 in model with changing the speed by hand and not the model with lever controlled speed for 60 dollars. It doesn’t take much work to open the cover and change the pulleys.

specifications:

laser

Variable Speed by changing belts

1/4 hp motor

Tilting table

light

Assembly

for the drill press was very simple and I got it done in a hour.

Performance

Very good performance. Drills right through everything.

Pro and Cons

Pros

Price

Performance

User Friendly

Cons

Small table

laser can be off center

depth stop sometimes doesn’t hold

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

I’m still looking at buying a drill press soon, and have looked at this one but questioned it after seeing its lowest speed was 500-600rpm. That seems too fast for hardwoods?

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View denovich's profile

denovich

I really like the variable speed model (that uses a lever to control the speed) which also includes a digital RPM indicator. I find it extremely convenient (drilling metal vs. wood, etc.) One caveat being the minimum speed is 600RPM which is often a bit too fast for metal. I believe it is a worthy upgrade (about $40 more than the regular 12” model.) I have heard that HomeDepot is discontinuing this model, and they might be found at a discount.

The stock chuck is merely OK. I did not have a problem with runout, but it’s holding power was marginal. I replaced mine with a spare Jacobs SuperChuck (admittedly a chuck that is probably more expensive than the entire drill press) and the difference was night and day. Zero problems with keeping a tight grip on big forstner bits or the smallest of drill bits.

Quill travel is good for a small press (3”) and in my example I found the quill to be solid even at full extension.

The depthstop implementation is poor, probably the most significant negative concerning the machine, but all in all, something that you can live with.

I also modified mine by splicing a footswitch into the wiring that goes to the motor. I started with a simple plug-in footswitch from HarborFreight, but using that way meant that the light, lasers, etc where only on when the footswitch was depressed. I simply cut the plug end off, and wired it in.

View woodjunkie's profile

woodjunkie

Menards has a Masterforce 12inch DP for 179. Model 70130. It is a lever operated Variable Speed 530-3100 rpm with Digital Readout. 3 1/8 Quill Travel and a 5/8 in Jacobs chuck. Also has a work light. I have had mine for 2 years and it does everything I ask of it. The Depth stop uses Double knurled nuts to lock it in place. Excellent. Only con is the Laser is off but I don’t use that anyway.

-- He: Can I get the plans for that? Me: Plans???

@ Eric

The drill press runs fine at the lowest speeds going through hardwoods. I use a large forsnter bit to make clocks out of purple heart and it did just fine.

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

I have this same drill press, its great except for that depth stop. The depth stop is the most useless piece of crap ever, give me the cheezy allthread with the two nuts that most cheap presses have anyday.

NewEnglandsWoodWorks

I totally agree the depth stop can even slip when enough force is applied.