Angle Checker

Review by Don W posted 09-20-2011 06:18 PM 2411 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Angle Checker No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this angle checker being I was ordering a bunch of other stuff from Woodcraft. I’ve seen these almost everywhere so I figured it would be handy to have at my sharpening bench. Bottom line, it just doesn’t work. When you slide a plane blade in (even a thick iron) it goes into the hole cut at the end so the angle of the blade really doesn’t register. You can pull it back some and “eye ball” it, but if your going to eye ball it, you might as well just use a piece of wood.

Don’t waste your money.

I’m back to using this, and figure its the best way anyhow;

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View Don W's profile

Don W

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#1 posted 09-20-2011 06:27 PM

Chalk another one up to “It seemed like a good idea at the time.” :-)

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View woodzy's profile

woodzy

#2 posted 09-20-2011 07:26 PM

I’ve seen those around. They do look handy, so i don’t blame you.
Actually it’s that steel protractor you have that i want.
I think you just saves a bunch of us $10.

-- Anthony

View Dan's profile

Dan

#3 posted 09-20-2011 07:30 PM

If your looking for something to help you better with finding bevel angles I would suggest checking out one of those digital angle cubes. A number of companies make them. I got mine through woodcraft and I want to say I only paid somewhere between 20 and 30 dollars for it.

I use mine to set the bevels on all of my irons and chisels and it works great for me. As long as you have it set on a level surface it will read out the exact angle for you. Its got magnets on it so I can place the cube on a plane iron then have my other two hands free to lock the iron in my eclipse jig once I am at the angle I want. Very helpful tool for sharpening. I wouldn’t be without it.

-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

View JSilverman's profile

JSilverman

#4 posted 09-20-2011 08:08 PM

I totally agree.
someone bought me one of those angle checkers many years ago… I had the same experience so now it lives on my pegboard and hasn’t been used in a long time…. it did look useful, just didn’t live up to expectations.

View CharlesAuguste's profile

CharlesAuguste

#5 posted 09-20-2011 08:54 PM

Yes i got one of those been collecting dust for ages…........

-- "the future's uncertain and the end is always near" J. Morrison

#6 posted 09-20-2011 11:53 PM

Thank you …I’m sure WoodCraft would take it back under their satisfaction guarantee.

View wb8nbs's profile

wb8nbs

#7 posted 09-21-2011 04:13 AM

I bought the same gauge and had exactly the same experience. Think I got it from Rockler. It appears to be a Chinese copy of the Veritas gauge at http://www.veritastools.com/products/Page.aspx?p=118 that probably doesn’t work either. I note the gauge is useful for chisels which are generally a lot thicker than plane irons.

I also use the metal protractor as in the photo. It works OK for angles greater than 25 degrees but for lower angles the bar falls off the end. I also own a precision vernier protractor that is even worse at setting up small angles. I could make my own angle gauge out of plexiglass or aluminum. I have found that for small angles it is much easier to lay out a triangle with rise and run appropriate for the angle, than to use a protractor.

Never thought about using my Wixey gadget. I’ll try that.

-- The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

View Arminius's profile

Arminius

#8 posted 09-21-2011 12:33 PM

I have this one and have also used the Veritas one. I like them both, and use them frequently. It looks like that clone simply has slightly larger openings making it harder to register the angle. That said, I don’t normally use them for plane blades anyway, as wb notes above, I use it for chisels.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#9 posted 09-24-2011 01:21 AM

Thanks for the tips. I have seen thouse and almost bought one ;-)

View JayPique's profile

JayPique

61 posts in 1985 days

#10 posted 09-30-2011 03:06 AM

I have one, and I used it today when I sharpened up some coworkers’ chisels at work. It’s a quick way to see the primary bevel so I can set up the Veritas honing guide I use. I pretty much have it near my stones at all times.
JP