Ridgid 6hp/14 gal shop vacuum

Review by gfadvm posted 09-19-2011 03:45 AM 3616 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 6hp/14 gal shop vacuum No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have 2 of these [my wife stole one for the clinic]. The oldest is 6 or 7 years old. It has survived everything we have thrown at it. The reason I decided to post this review: I was planing some Jatoba today and my dust collection system clogged up again. Taking it apart and running a snake is a pain so I thought I’d try something. I hooked the Ridgid to the clogged 4” line about 16 feet in front of the clog and turned it on. To my surprise the fix was instant! I decided to review this tool in gratitude for its service. It is easy to empty, the filter is simple to clean with a few taps on the side of a tree, and filters last for years. It doesnt tip over when dragged around and it has the LONG cord Ridgid is known for. One caution: the Ridgid with the same hp and gal. but with the detachable blower top is a useless item. I bought one and returned it the same day as it had pitiful suction. Cant explain this but am reporting my experience. If either of my Ridgid vacs dies, I will purchase another just like them ASAP. Sorry I didn’t do a pic but you all know what they look like!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View gfadvm's profile (online now)

gfadvm

View TexAus's profile

TexAus

#1 posted 09-19-2011 04:52 AM

I’ll add to your review that I recently replaced an older ridgid shop vac with a new 14 gallon one, the WD1450. In addition to having great suction it is so much more quiet than my older vac that I don’t have to wear ear protection when I use it. So far I love it.

View gawthrrw's profile

gawthrrw

#2 posted 09-19-2011 05:21 AM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been thinking of getting one of these. I may just go for it.

-- Rob, Dallas TX

View derosa's profile

derosa

#3 posted 09-19-2011 05:49 AM

I’ll also give this a thumbs up. I first bought the little 5gallon 3hp version for 25.00; three years later the wife still wouldn’t give it back and I needed a bigger one to serve as a dust collector. Only complaint is that the good filter costs more then I paid for the first vacuum. Both have sucked up lots and it seems most any of them are worth getting.

-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse

View Mike's profile

Mike

#4 posted 09-19-2011 07:02 AM

I love the new design they have. The wood finish is great. My only question is, where do you plug in the hose?

;)

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com

View TheBossQ's profile

TheBossQ

#5 posted 09-19-2011 04:12 PM

I have the Ridgid vac with the detachable blower thing, but mine is a “6.5hp” (I wish) and a 16 gallon. I’ve never used the blower, but my shop vac is a beast and I’m pretty hard on it. It’s not the newest model, but maybe one gen. older.

If mine dies, I may just take it apart and have the motor replaced with something comparable or better, as the design itself seems to work really well.

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

#6 posted 09-19-2011 04:57 PM

I have the 1450 as well. It’s fine except for one very annoying feature. The canister is bigger at the bottom than at the top, this makes removing very full bags difficult and near impossible to not rip on the way out.

A stupid design feature really, possibly the idea was to make it more stable..?? but in reality , add 15 lbs of sucked up crap and it’s not tipping anytime soon anyways…

-- Paul

View LittlePaw's profile

LittlePaw

#7 posted 09-20-2011 07:05 PM

That’s great info plus suporting comments. Who sell them, Doc? Oh, if it’s Home Depot, forget it. I won’t have the profits from my purchases at Home Depot go to support the gays and lesbians. And nobody I know buy at HD anymore. If the mgt of HD is that perverted . . . . well, I won’t get into that here. What you want to do with your money is your business. I’m just stating where I stand. That’s itl.

-- LittlePAW - The sweetest sound in my shop, next to Mozart, is what a hand plane makes slicing a ribbon.

View B0b's profile

B0b

#8 posted 09-20-2011 07:29 PM

I like my 4 gallon 5 hp Rigid vac. The funny part is that I have easily spent double the original cost on attachments. I even bought a second filter so I can vacuum the stuff that sticks between the folds.

-- Time to get started

View teejk's profile

teejk

#9 posted 09-20-2011 10:04 PM

I gotta vote with the bossQ

I had the 16gal “detachable” for 10 years and never thought it lacked for vac power (in fact at times it seemed to have too much as it could probably suck a bowling ball from 20 feet)...and I liked the blower as the fastest shop broom anyone could ever own (dust mask required or your nostrils will show you how MDF is made). Building a new house 1,000 miles away, needed a vac and didn’t feel like 2 hour round-trip to HD so bought the “yellow” one…no comparison…that one stays in the house. New “orange” one is in my shop.

View gko's profile

gko

80 posts in 1940 days

#10 posted 09-21-2011 10:59 AM

I bought the 1450 several years ago after having a Craftsman that was so loud I always wore ear protection. I vowed to get a quieter one so I went to HD and had them plug all of the shop vacs in and the 1450 won hands down in the quiet department. It also seemed to have among the better suction in the store. Took it home and it seemed so quiet compared to my old vac. Does a great job of vacuuming. Its great with hand power sanders. Its ok hooked up to table saws, planers and stuff and won’t compare to dust collectors but no shop vac can.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#11 posted 09-24-2011 01:41 AM

I used one of there on a job a month or 2 ago. It was awesome!! Hard to push on carpet, lots of suction!!

View Seenya's profile

Seenya

#12 posted 09-30-2011 08:21 PM

Just got the same model delivered yesterday. Nothing to setting it up. Already cleaned the shop and it works great in the house, too! Much better than my old one, although it was only 5 gallons.

-- Semper Fi

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

#13 posted 09-30-2011 08:45 PM

I’ve had one of the big ones for many years and it’s my only dust collection system. It still works great and still has great suction. I convinced my wife to buy one of the smaller ones for the hardwoods floors in the house. It’s a great vacuum but has absolutely no useful attachments to use indoors. So it sits in the closet.