Great Bushing Set with Improved Case

Review by NiteWalker posted 1047 days ago 2358 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Bushing Set with Improved Case Great Bushing Set with Improved Case No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought one of these bushing sets way back before woodcraft rebranded all their in house products as woodriver. That set has performed flawlessly over the years.

A few things I love about the set is the variety of included sizes, the fact that they’re brass and won’t work loose as easily as steel bushings can, and that all the rims of the guides protrude less than 1/4” so 1/4” template material can be used.

I recently bought another set because they’re on sale and I accidentally murdered my 1/2” bushing from my old set (already got a replacement for that too). I wanted to have a backup in case something like that happens again.

I was surprised when I opened the woodriver set and saw that they redesigned the case. All the changes they made are for the better. The plastic the case is made of feels a bit thicker. The handle is gone from the old style case and the new case is more squarish. The two biggest improvements are the latch and hinge. The redesigned latch is a separate component and should last a lot longer than the molded on latches on the old case, though the latches on my woodcraft set are still working just fine and haven’t broke. I’m not sure if the hinge itself is a separate component now, but the case is definitely two separate pieces now. The hinge isn’t just a thin piece of plastic that’s part of the case mold. Very nice changes indeed!

Everything else is the same; the bushings fit in the recesses very well and each bushing’s place in the case has the inside and outside diameters molded into the case.

So I’m really happy wiht the set, and very happy with the improvements made to the case. It’s currently on sale at woodcraft for $19.99, a bargain price. I use my bushings on almost every project and believe any woodworker that does a decent amount of router woodworking should have a set.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

Wow $20, that seems like a good price. I have a Freud set and I wish it had the same pros that this set does, especially the 1/4 bushing depth. I seldom use mine because the larger the diameter the longer the bushing. I also like that they have moulded the size right into the case. A nice addition IMHO.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

I like the 1/4” depth. I always grind my PorterCables down to 1/4”. These would eliminate that hassle.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Yeah, that was one of the things that turned me off of the PC and other brands with longer barrels.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

Good news …thanks for sharing the info : )

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1243 days

Good review. I have a set of these recently purchased, although unused. I am looking forward to using them soon.

Nice review. I love my set.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile (online now)

TopamaxSurvivor