So you want to be a Manly woodworker....

Review by WayneC posted 947 days ago 1755 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
So you want to be a Manly woodworker.... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been getting more interested in carving utilitarian items lately. I have been carving some spoons thinking of branching out some. I picked up this video to get a broader overview of working with green wood. First of all I would say this is an excellent video that exceeded all of my expectations. Jogge takes you through making a dough bowl and a wooden spoon from beginning to end. He demonstrates selection of materials and then takes you through every step demostrating tools, techniques and stessing safety every step of the way. This was filmed in 1990 and I wouild say it is as applicable to day as it was then. Highly recommended.

Here is a more recent video showing similar content to what is in the video…

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thank´s for the rewiew Wayne
interesting shavehorse he use

Dennis

View jjw5858's profile

jjw5858

Very interesting WayneC, I have seen Jooge before too on youtube as well, a real master of country woodworking.

You may also enjoy if you have not done so, picking up a copy of “The Wheelrights Shop” by George Sturt, this book really….really makes the reader understand in the context of great story telling of hard country woodwork indeed.

The chapter on the “sawyers pit” alone…....makes you want to catch your breathe reading it….lmao. Those were some tough stock of people back then.

I attained one from amazon.com if you were looking for that….great book if this is an interest.

Not sure if this link will work for you, but this episode of the Woodrights Shop is an excellent source for great explanations on how green wood works.

The Woodrights Shop has so much great information and you can find a great amount here as well as some decent carving shows. Hope this might be of help of you have not already been on the pbs site.

Keep up with the great work and be well!

Joe

-- "Make something you love tomorrow...and do it slowly" JLB

View saddletramp's profile

saddletramp

Too cool! ;^))

-- ♫♪♪♫♫ Saddletramp, saddletramp, I'm as free as the breeze and I ride where I please, saddletramp ♪♪♪♫♪ ...... Bob W....NW Michigan (Traverse City area)

View TheGravedigger's profile

TheGravedigger

Yep, you do things Jogge’s way, and you’re sure to get a workout. The thing is, in many ways, it’s easier to perform certain functions this way, rather than with power tools. I’ll bet he can match a Lancelot for speed hollowing out one of those bowls. The old folks knew what they were doing, and didn’t work any harder than was necessary.

-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Wayne, I love this sort of thing and I’ll check it out. I may have seen it on Lumberjocks or may have been somewhere else but it’s where they show how wooden shoes are made. The tools and process of that were so interesting as well. There’s all kind of stuff like this that’s even free. Maybe somebody could do a search and get all of the links for these sorts of things and post a list on LJs. It would be a great resource.

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

Anything thhat let’s me swing a hatchet and make something handy.

Thanks for the reccomend, I had not heard of this yet.

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

11996 posts in 2600 days

It is a pretty good demonstration of what can be done with green lumber with a axe, hatchet, drawkinfe, plane, adze, gouges and knives. Actualy pretty amazing if your only used to working commercal lumber with power tools.

11996 posts in 2600 days

This was on the site a long time ago…...

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

quite a woodworker he is …... grizz looked a lot better back then ….. LOL

Dennis

View mafe's profile

mafe

What a guy and what a wonderful place, I might have to look at that book…
Best thoughts,
Mads

11996 posts in 2600 days

I was doing some searching on the net for axe sharpening resources and came across this site. There are a number of interesting PDF documents you might want to download.

View mafe's profile

mafe

Just read it, it was really interesting reading thank you.
I learned several new things.
Best thoughts,
Mads

11996 posts in 2600 days

All of the stuff on cross saws is interesting, but not something I think I want to try….lol