Lee Valley NAREX Skew Chisels Pair.

Review by speakerscott posted 1028 days ago 4401 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lee Valley NAREX Skew Chisels Pair. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Lee Valley part 10S15.17

Pro’s

Very inexpensive at the introductory price.
Can take a very sharp edge.
Comfortable handle, decent balance…reasonable workers.

Con’s
Tons of lapping required, deep machining marks on back, not exactly flat.

Overall, I’m okay with what I paid, and I did save myself the time of having to make skew chisels at the grinding wheel…but the machining marks were a lot of work.

Once set up they are pretty good, but don’t expect them to be users right out of the box.

View pariswoodworking's profile

pariswoodworking

Thanks for the review, I have been concidering some of these but I think I’ll spend a little more to get better quality chisels when I get around to getting them.

-- Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thankĀ“s for the rewiew :-)

Dennis

Paris,

It really comes down to time versus money – like all of the Narex, these really are excellent chisels. In fact, the backs on mine were very ‘flat’ in one sense (checked versus a granite reference plate), but it did require about 30 minutes per chisel to get those machining marks off the back. However, at 1/10th the price of the L-N’s, that 30 minutes did not seem unreasonable to me to have a second pair of skews with a different bevel angle to cut with – far from it.

Paris,

I agree with Arminius, for the number of times I’ll use the skew chisels compared to normal bevel edge chisels they are a much better buy than say…L-N, or taking the time to bevel grind a couple of cheap blue chip chisels. I just wanted to point out that you will end up spending lots of time to remove the marks, so don’t expect an out of the box working tool.

Scott

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

LV is offering free shipping 9/16-26. $16 shipped is pretty tough to beat. A beat-up flea market skew chisel couldn’t be had for that.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

I had a set of the Narex Bench chisels and had the same problem with flattening the backs. I haven’t seen these skew chisels, but also, the handles on the bench chisels were a bit large and bulky for my taste.

Doc

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View Big Ben's profile

Big Ben

I have the bench chisels not the skews and it did not take that flatten the backs on them. For my set of 10, it took me less than 30 minutes to flatten all of them.

Out of curiosity what are you using to flatten the back?

Ben,

I used the waterstone set I use for sharpening, though starting with a 300. The back finish seems to vary a lot – the newer bevel edge bench model that just came outseems generally better, and of my set 2 were a backorder and clearly from a different batch, arriving with a more polished back. You might have got a good batch, and my skews were about the same. However, you remind me that that 30 minute guess I made included a first sharpening as well, so about 30 minutes per chisel from bag to bench so to speak. That just does not seem bad to me.

I have since purchased the L-N set which were near perfect out of the box, but the Narex have stayed right where they are.

speakerscott

I was about 30 minutes per chisel for flattening and sharpening as well. I think they are a good value, but I do want to warn people to expect to do a lot of work on them. Those machining marks would ruin the ability to put a good edge on the chisel, so it’s necessary work as well.

View Big Ben's profile

Big Ben

Arminius,

well the first major difference is what we are using to flatten, I used DMT ExtraCourse/Course. What do you use to flatten your stones?

Arminius

I actually use the Diasharp stone for flattening my stones now, but I have had my Narex bench set since before those were available, at least as far as I knew at the time. Living near the main LV store, I have built most of my tool set over the years there, and the Narex have been a good buy for a long time – the new set with the more tapered sides are a significant improvement.

View tom427cid's profile

tom427cid

Hi all,
I don’t think I purchased these from LV,but never-the-less I did reshape the tang area!

to make them into cranknecks. Since then I have found them to be very effective.
Just thought I wouls share.
tom

-- "certified sawdust maker"

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

I got a 1/2” Narex bench chisel to try out, and I didn’t find the machining marks to be that difficult to lap out. I use a DMT extra coarse, and it didn’t take anywhere close to 30 minutes (I didn’t have a stopwatch handy, but I think it was under 10 minutes). If you don’t have a coarser water stone, I would recommend using some sandpaper on glass next time you have to flatten a chisel and start out at a more aggressive grit—it will probably save a bit of time, and I bet you probably have 180 grit paper in your shop already!

Thanks for the review! I have actually been eyeing these for the STEAL of an intro price they are being offered for now.

-- David from Indiana --

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

Hey Tom,

How did you bend those? I am guessing a torch was involved? I would be afraid they would snap if you just tried to crank on them cold. This seems like a great idea, and I would love to hear how you did this.

Thanks!
David

-- David from Indiana --

View tom427cid's profile

tom427cid

Hi David,
Yes,a torch was involved. I also clamped a pair if vice grips about an inch or so below the bend to act as a heat soak. Then I reshaped the handles slightly(shape and style that suits me)laquered and reinstalled them.
tom

-- "certified sawdust maker"