Evapo-Rust vs. RustAid

Review by thiel posted 1082 days ago 7953 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Evapo-Rust vs. RustAid No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Having recently suffered a flooded shop, I’m something of an expert on rust removal. I usually use Evapo-Rust but while waiting for the shipment (from McMaster) I bought some “Rust Aid” from home depot. Bottom line? Evaporust is FAR superior.

Rust Aid starts clear but quickly turns into a green, gritty soup, leaving odd residue on the tools once they are derusted. Getting the residue off is a chore in itself. Evaporust stays clear for a while but eventually turns black (which means it aint no good no more). Rust removal is clean and complete and the tools simply need a rinse afterward.

That’s all. Back to my flood cleanup efforts!

(Grabbed the pic from their website… assuming they won’t mind it linked to a positive review).

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1928 days

Nice review, have to get some of this.

View woodzy's profile

woodzy

I’ve used Evaporust alot. Many of my dods old tools including machines were covered in rust i was surprised how fast and effective it was. Ikeep a bottle around at all times.

Thanks for the review. I may have used another product in a pinch.

-- Anthony

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

Where do you buy it at?

-- Mike

View Don W's profile (online now)

Don W

Have you tried electrolysis? If you have a lot, its cheaper and works very well. I use evapo-rust as well and I really like it, so it depends on my mood and quantity of rust pieces.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1928 days

I buy it at the best website in the world: mcmaster.com

They list it as “Environmentally Friendly Rust Remover” ... item number 7645T44 for the Gallon size.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

I used Naval Jelly on my drill press column and regretted it. Since then I have switched to EvapORust… It works exactly as expected… I recently used it to clean up a rust problem on the washing machine… Saves some big bucks versus buying a new washer for sure!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View mikema's profile

mikema

I used it while restoring an smoothing plane. Worked great, and the plane now gets a lot of use!

-- Mike ---- Visit my woodworking blog: http://sawdustnewbie.com

View RTim's profile

RTim

I love Evapo-Rust! I get mine at the local auto parts store (Auto Zone). They carry it in quarts and gallons. I need to find an old battery charger to try the electrolosys trick. It looks interesting.

-- Tim from MA -- "Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franlin

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

The electrolysis method will remove metal from your project, it seems to me. I electrolyzed a cast iron table saw into submission in my fiberglass spa tub in the master bathroom. Good thing my wife doesn’t know about my secret life in the wood world. It made an incredible mess and I had to scrub the bejeebers out of that tub before she got home from work, but it came out really nice (as did the table saw- didn’t even crack the tub- I think). I have a car fender to clean some light rust off of. I think I will buy the Evapo-Rust to do that. Now all I have to do is find time to take the fender off the car. I’ll be working weekends through T-Day, though, so I guess it’ll be the end of the year before I get to it.

View harley04's profile

harley04

I have found Evapo-Rust at Harbor Freight. Stuff works like a champ!

David , sorry about your flooding !
Tractor Supply sells it for $19.99 / gallon…$10 cheaper than Harbor Freight !
I recently soaked a couple of hand planes in it , and they came out great with one exception….I didn’t have them completely submerged as the directions state , and now I know why that is. I now have permanent lines etched on them where the “water line” was. Tried resoaking them to no avail …I can actually catch my thumbnail in the grooves left behind : (
Other than that , I would still give this product 5 stars : )
I also have to give it a thumbs up on its lack of chemical smells and being able to actually get it on your skin.

View Viking's profile

Viking

Dusty56 is correct. HF sell it on sale for $20 once in a blue moon but Tractor Supply regular price is $20. That is where we buy it now. Great stuff and non-toxic.

Good luck.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View VinnieP's profile

VinnieP

141 posts in 1958 days

Thanks for the review. I bought a quart at harbor freight to try out on some old hand planes and it works amazing! Definitely will pick up a gallon next time I need it.

View WoodHoarder's profile

WoodHoarder

I love this stuff. I used to sell it. Was the only product I sold that I still go out of my way to reccommend.

-- Christ was a carpenter...a fact that humbles and inspires me.

112027 posts in 2213 days

Thanks for the review, very good info.