Reliable, Well-Made 1 3/8" Pin Nailer

Review by NiteWalker posted 09-14-2011 04:38 AM 5509 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Reliable, Well-Made 1 3/8" Pin Nailer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this pin nailer primarily to hold small maple corner blocks in place while the glue sets. I tried brad nails and they would split the small 1 3/8”L x 3/4”W x 3/4” T blocks. I originally had my eyes on the Grex P635. For my application I didn’t need a pin nailer that could shoot the longer pins, so it came down to the Hitachi and the Grex.

I decided on the Hitachi for a couple of reasons:
- It was half the price of the Grex (it’s even less now on amazon), and included a free 50’ polyurethane air hose, a nice bonus.
- It has a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 1 year warranty on the Grex. For the price of the Grex, the warranty should be at least 3 years, IMHO.

I ordered it from tools-plus, who price matched another online vendor. They were closer, and I’ve done business with them before, and was very pleased, so I’d rather give the business to them.

The nailer comes in a nice compact case, not needlessly bulky. It holds the nailer, the included safety glasses, and the manual very securely. Nothing flops around when the case is closed. The latches are the plastic sliding variety, not flip latches which can pop off easier. They close securely and with a positive snap so you know the case is closed up real good.

The nailer also includes two orange non-marring nose tips (one on the tip of the gun, the other stored on the body). The bright color lets you know to keep your fingers away from where you’re nailing and also makes positioning the nailer a lot easier than a darker tip would.

Unfortunately, not included is a bottle of air tool oil, which this gun requires. I bought a 4 oz bottle of Bostitch air tool oil from Lowe’s that will probably last me for years, and it was only a few dollars, so not a big knock, just a minor inconvenience.

It’s a very compact nailer (and most pinners are) so it can fit in tighter areas than a brad nailer can. The handle of the gun is covered in a nice, grippy rubber over-mold that feels great in the hand. The trigger safety is easily accessible, and even with my meaty fingers, I have no trouble engaging it. It has a rear exhaust so you or your projects won’t get a direct blast of possibly oily air when you shoot it. The nail cartridge is plastic, but very well made. Overall, it feels like an extremely well-built tool.

In use, the nailer has performed flawlessly. It handles firing 1 3/8” pins (Grex brand) into hard maple and walnut at 85-90 psi, leaving them nicely counter-sunk. I haven’t had the gun misfire once nor have I had any pins blow out of the side of any workpieces. It just shoots pins reliably and consistently all day long.

The NP35A has been a real workhorse ever since I started using it in my shop. I couldn’t be happier with it. If it broke down after the warranty period I’d buy another without a second thought.

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

#1 posted 09-14-2011 04:44 AM

Thanks for the info, i may have to order one soon.

View nailbanger2's profile

nailbanger2

#2 posted 09-14-2011 01:19 PM

It’s good to know Hitachi builds quality in air tools also. When my Senco breaks down, I will have to find a deal on one.

-- Wish I were Norm's Nephew

#3 posted 09-14-2011 03:30 PM

Yeah, I’ve been very pleased with all 3 hitachi air tools I bought. Along with the pinner I also have the NT50AE2 brad nailer and N3804AB3 narrow crown stapler. All three work beautifully, and the warranty is great. If I need any more nailers I’ll be looking at hitachi first.

View Vicki's profile

Vicki

946 posts in 2098 days

#4 posted 09-14-2011 03:50 PM

Nice and helpful review. I’ve added it to my “wish list”.

-- Vicki on the Eastern Shore of MD

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 2023 days

#5 posted 09-14-2011 06:06 PM

Great review. I already have the Grex (got it on promotion sale) and it to has proven most efficient and reliable. I also checked out the Hitachi (I have 2 other Hitachi air tools and they have worked flawlessly), but the promotion deal was too good to pass up – it included a carton of pins, oil, case, a belt clip (I do not see this as being very useful – but now I have one) and a video (interesting) all at a price that was 9.95 over the Hitachi and it shot the longer pins (you can always go shorter….but once you reach the longest…that’s it.).

These tools are great when you need a bit of hold while you set up a clamp or such…I use it for putting back panels on cabinets, small boxes, edgeing, moulding and I find new applications all the time. It is very useful to have this kind of tool that shoots an almost invisible pin that holds quite well.

Thanks for your review.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

#6 posted 09-14-2011 06:53 PM

With a deal like that I would have jumped on the grex too!

But like I said, my hitachi has been a hard worker, so I don’t miss wanting a grex, even though I did for a bit even after buying the hitachi.

I’m glad the review is helpful. :)

View jjempson's profile

jjempson

#7 posted 02-09-2013 07:23 PM

i want one…...but i cant get one in the uk…..shipping is rediculas….

-- jjempson

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#8 posted 03-27-2013 01:28 AM

THX for review. I wish Hitachi and others would come out with 2 inch pin nailer. grex is way over priced.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.