Review by WayneC posted 1078 days ago 2044 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Country Woodcraft - A handbook of traditional woodworking techniques and projects No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had a copy of this book on my bookshelf for a very long time. I came a across a recommendation for this book when looking at carving information on the web and decided to re-read it. If you like Mad’s shave horse and your looking to work with rough lumber, this is the book for you. The books covers the following topics

• Tools
  • Wood
  • Sawbuck, shaving horse, clubs, mauls and mallets
  • Bow Saws
  • Tool Hancles
  • Wedges
  • Workbench
  • Spring Pole Lathe

He describes a number of projects in two major categories Agricultural Implements and Household crafts and furnishing. There are quite a few useful projects. Many of these I personally would have no use for but they are very interesting to read about and they teach ways to approach particular problems. Some examples of these projects include:

• Spoons

Country Woodcraft by Drew Langsner
1978
Rodale Press
ISBN: 0-87857-200-7

The book can be had for a song. Used versions sell from $0.28 plus the cost of shipping. If you have any interest in this area you cannot go wrong for the price.

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

I have put a lot of miles on my local libraries’ copy of this book. I figured your shave-horse came in part from there.

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

View TheGravedigger's profile

TheGravedigger

I have this book as well, and can’t recommend it highly enough. Definitely a must-have for the greenwood worker or anyone with an interest in rustic crafts.

-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

Thanks for the review WayneC.

I put it on my “to buy” list.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

WayneC

It is hard to pass for the price.

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

You are right!

just ordered it used in good condition for $0.27 + $3.99 for shipping.

It’s cheaper than an ice creme.

Thanks!

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thank you Wayne for the review, another one I must look for.
Yes my horse is out there stumping the ground.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Wayne, thanks for the review and I do love these kinds of books.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thankĀ“s for the rewiew Wayne :-)

Dennis

Don W

Wayne, the email for this review has sat in my inbox since you wrote it, just waiting for a minute or two to get back to it. For 28 cents and $4 shipping, I’ve added it to my shopping cart. I just haven’t ordered it yet because the Traditional Woodworker is in there as well and a need a few More items to get the free shipping. Thanks for the review.

WayneC

Don, Do you have a copy of the complete woodworker yet?

Don W

Yes, i got a copy about a week ago. I have been reading it a little. First pass was just looking at the pictures. the complete woodworker is an absolutely great book. I’m reading the section on cutting dovetails now. I highly recommend it. Every time I open it, the wheel barrel project seems to call my name. Someday!!

WayneC

I was trying to help you spend a bit more money…. lol How about Made by Hand?

Don W

Like I need help in that department. Thats been on my wish list, but no I don’t have it yest.

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

Second the Made by hand recommend. It’s beautiful and it even smells good (good ink).

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

View pariswoodworking's profile

pariswoodworking

Thanks for the tip. I’ll put it on my list of books to get. :)

-- Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein