Review by WayneC posted 949 days ago 1836 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Country Woodcraft - A handbook of traditional woodworking techniques and projects No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had a copy of this book on my bookshelf for a very long time. I came a across a recommendation for this book when looking at carving information on the web and decided to re-read it. If you like Mad’s shave horse and your looking to work with rough lumber, this is the book for you. The books covers the following topics

• Tools
  • Wood
  • Sawbuck, shaving horse, clubs, mauls and mallets
  • Bow Saws
  • Tool Hancles
  • Wedges
  • Workbench
  • Spring Pole Lathe

He describes a number of projects in two major categories Agricultural Implements and Household crafts and furnishing. There are quite a few useful projects. Many of these I personally would have no use for but they are very interesting to read about and they teach ways to approach particular problems. Some examples of these projects include:

• Spoons

Country Woodcraft by Drew Langsner
1978
Rodale Press
ISBN: 0-87857-200-7

The book can be had for a song. Used versions sell from $0.28 plus the cost of shipping. If you have any interest in this area you cannot go wrong for the price.

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

I have put a lot of miles on my local libraries’ copy of this book. I figured your shave-horse came in part from there.

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

View TheGravedigger's profile

TheGravedigger

I have this book as well, and can’t recommend it highly enough. Definitely a must-have for the greenwood worker or anyone with an interest in rustic crafts.

-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

Thanks for the review WayneC.

I put it on my “to buy” list.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

11996 posts in 2599 days

It is hard to pass for the price.

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

You are right!

just ordered it used in good condition for $0.27 + $3.99 for shipping.

It’s cheaper than an ice creme.

Thanks!

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thank you Wayne for the review, another one I must look for.
Yes my horse is out there stumping the ground.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Wayne, thanks for the review and I do love these kinds of books.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thankĀ“s for the rewiew Wayne :-)

Dennis

Don W

Wayne, the email for this review has sat in my inbox since you wrote it, just waiting for a minute or two to get back to it. For 28 cents and $4 shipping, I’ve added it to my shopping cart. I just haven’t ordered it yet because the Traditional Woodworker is in there as well and a need a few More items to get the free shipping. Thanks for the review.

-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)

11996 posts in 2599 days

Don, Do you have a copy of the complete woodworker yet?

Don W

Yes, i got a copy about a week ago. I have been reading it a little. First pass was just looking at the pictures. the complete woodworker is an absolutely great book. I’m reading the section on cutting dovetails now. I highly recommend it. Every time I open it, the wheel barrel project seems to call my name. Someday!!

11996 posts in 2599 days

I was trying to help you spend a bit more money…. lol How about Made by Hand?

Don W

Like I need help in that department. Thats been on my wish list, but no I don’t have it yest.

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

Second the Made by hand recommend. It’s beautiful and it even smells good (good ink).

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

View pariswoodworking's profile

pariswoodworking

Thanks for the tip. I’ll put it on my list of books to get. :)

-- Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein