Powermatic Bandsaw 6 inch riser block

Review by 489tad posted 09-13-2011 04:09 PM 3456 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powermatic Bandsaw 6 inch riser block No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a project that will require 8” resawing. I purchased from Woodcraft the Powermatic 6” riser block for my PM 14” bandsaw. The kit includes the riser block, blade guard, bolt washer nut, guide post, upper wheel blade guard, 105” saw blade and instructions. All the parts were well packed. The riser block had one paint bubble on the mating surface that I remove with a file.

The directions are clear and installation was easy. I did need the help of my son to guide the bolt through the block and thread on the nut while I held the top of the saw. The saw bolted back together quick and easy. I installed the provided blade and it tracked perfect and was pretty square to the table. It was only out a couple of degrees over the 12”. I removed the blade and installed the guards and guide post per instructions. Prevous to the installation I viewed a video on line and the host pointed out that there is no instruction to align the upper blade bearing guides to the guide post. He lowered the guide post to just above the table and put a square in the miter track. He adjusted the bearing guides to the square. I did the same and that seemed to work fine. It took me about 1/2 hour to complete the installation. I made some test cuts with the provided blade and the saw performed fine. I ordered a woodslicer resaw blade and with the reviews on that I should be in business.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

View 489tad's profile

489tad

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5195 posts in 2004 days

#1 posted 09-13-2011 07:25 PM

Glad to read your review. I have a 14” powermatic bandsaw and have thought about the riser block system. I have been putting it off because i have 9 new blades that fit it currently and they would go unused if I upgraded.

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

#2 posted 09-13-2011 10:56 PM

Nice review : )
Greg , save your money until you really have to resaw something.
I invested in the riser kit for my JET BS about 5 years ago ,and have yet to use it very much…but I can if I need to !! LOL, so now I have an assortment of both lengths of blades collecting dust. I ended up buying a second band saw (cheap) to do most other jobs with. Kind of hard to turn corners with a 3/4” resaw blade : )

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

#3 posted 09-14-2011 07:30 AM

I have the same bandsaw and I had a need for more than 6” resaw capacity.
I was put off by the many negative post I read about having to drill holes and alignment issues.

I guess from your review that this is no longer the case.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View 489tad's profile

489tad

#4 posted 09-14-2011 01:58 PM

I only had two blades and they were old. I just found out my resaw blade is on back order, but there is plenty to do before I need to resaw.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

#5 posted 09-14-2011 04:05 PM

I ordered the riser block for my shopfox with the saw, the only problem I had was not enough experience with
a bandsaw. I now would order a bigger bandsaw, with a wider blade capacity and either a bigger motor, or
the ability to add a bigger motor. I have used the extra height quite a bit, and would use it more if the motor
could handle the wood. I have a smaller bandsaw for my Shopsmith, so I only have to switch blades when I
go from cutting green wood to seasoned wood or vice versa.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

View Bigrock's profile

Bigrock

#6 posted 09-15-2011 04:09 AM

I ordered one for my Delta Band saw and I use Wood Slicer 1/2” band saw blade from Highlander Hardware and I never thought resawing could be so easy. It is a joy to use.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#7 posted 09-16-2011 09:01 PM

I have the same and it does as promised. solid and easy to install

-- making sawdust....