Tablesaw Essentials.

Review by gizmodyne posted 03-01-2008 04:43 AM 2467 views 2 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tablesaw Essentials. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well you could get by without them.

$15 a pair from Rockler.

What the heck are they?

They hold aux. fences and stopblocks to your existing rip fence, for crosscutting and dado operations where the blade would otherwise obliterate your existing fence.

Just rip a piece of ply, melamine, or other stable stock, drill two holes for the clamps, and clamp away.

The biesemeyer aux. fences with clamps are around $150. The only advantage I see is that their fence is exactly 1” thick, allowing for easy math. I will just use a tape.

Get a pair.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 03-01-2008 04:54 AM

They are great Giz. I happened to be in a Rockler the day they first got them in the store and grabbed a pair.

I planed a piece of mahogany exactly 1” thick the make it easier to offset on the fence dimension.

I also cut off a couple of short (6”) pieces for crosscutting the the miter gauge.

I agree! Get a pair.

View PanamaJack's profile

PanamaJack

#2 posted 03-01-2008 06:15 AM

Just got mine at the Indy Woodworking Show in January. Well worth it.

-- Carpe Lignum; Tornare Lignum (Seize the wood, to Turn the wood)

View scottb's profile

scottb

#3 posted 03-01-2008 07:07 AM

oooh. I like those… sure beats screwing some ply or other from the other side.

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#4 posted 03-01-2008 01:52 PM

On my list!

View brunob's profile

brunob

#5 posted 03-01-2008 03:36 PM

One more thing on my wish list.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View Hawgnutz's profile

Hawgnutz

#6 posted 03-01-2008 05:12 PM

They truly are a great, inexpensive addition to your table saw! I love mine!

God Bless,
Hawg

-- Saving barnwood from the scrapyards

#7 posted 03-01-2008 05:29 PM

Great Review Thanks John.

View Sawdustmaker's profile

Sawdustmaker

#8 posted 03-05-2008 05:50 PM

I just added these last week and they work great. Very easy to pull off if needed as well. Good bang for the buck.

-- Brian, Virginia Beach

#9 posted 03-05-2008 06:12 PM

They look pretty good, but I’d like to see the tightening end of the clamp reach down farther. Atleast half way down the fence. From the picture I see they don’t do that. Plus I wonder how long it will take before the round rod starts bending up and not clamping so well anymore. Nice idea, but I can see some problems with it.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#10 posted 03-05-2008 06:41 PM

Woodchuck – That rod part does clamp farther down. You can’t see it because the rest of it is
inside the wood and it’s bent in slightly toward the fence. Also your second concern is a non issue.
That rod is way too strong to ever bend.

#11 posted 03-05-2008 07:04 PM

Yeah Gary, it’s kind of hard to see it in that picture, plus the lack of dimensions doesn’t help either. I guess I’ll have to look it up on Rocklers website to see if I can get a better picture.

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#12 posted 03-06-2008 01:12 AM

Woodchuck…

I agree. I wish the clamp side went down a little further. It seems pretty strong though. It takes two hands to keep it from twisting.

Dimension from Rockler:
Range of travel 1/2”-5-3/4” (1/2” minimum assumes a 3/4” auxiliary fence; you can clamp to an even thinner primary fence if you use a thicker auxiliary fence).

Drill a 3/8” hole in the auxiliary fence.

Here is the link to the rocker site for the clamps

#13 posted 03-06-2008 01:32 AM

Thankyou Giz. I have a Unifence and the clamps might be just the ticket.

View Drell's profile

Drell

#14 posted 07-16-2008 10:45 PM

I have a few of these laying around. I use one for a stop and two more for a sacraficial fence which leaves a spare after one of the kids steals one of the three;)

I think these work great and it would be very difficult to bend or break this unless you set out to deliberatly do so. It’s a pretty simple and cheap solution. I also created a 1 in thick stop to make it easier to set it up with the fence ruler.

all in all a very good buy.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#15 posted 07-16-2008 10:55 PM

Match the 1” stop block up with Wixey’s Digital Fence that you can zero to the stop block and you have one killer solution.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"