Great at first look, but in the long run, not so much

Review by Mike posted 1083 days ago 2125 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great at first look, but in the long run, not so much Great at first look, but in the long run, not so much No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So first off let me say that the reason for the rating is due to long term use of the stopper. The stopper use with a turned top is easy to do and assembly is simple too. My reason for the rating is due to the chemical reaction that occurs between the chrome and the wine acid. As you can see by the second image, the chrome is being dissolved into the wine. The way I found this out was that I had a open bottle laying on it’s side in my fridge for a few weeks and I pulled it out to finish it off the wine. When I pulled the stopper that had been submerged in the wine I noticed that there was pitting in the chrome. Being that I sell the stoppers and know that people put the bottle on their side in the fridge, I am concerned that someone could be affected by the dissolved chrome in the wine.

Unfortunately, I am pulling all of my stoppers from my stuff out of this concern. It just doesn’t make sense to sell a product that can do this and customers will notice it too.

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com

View Mike's profile

Mike

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks for the review. I have read where plated stoppers will do this.

Here is a link to a lady that sells the solid stainless steel stoppers I have been using:

She is super to work with and a famous turner.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Cliff De Witt 's profile

Cliff De Witt

What Lew said.

Plus Ruth is a real nice person.

-- Trying to find an answer to my son’s question: “…and forming organic cellulose by spinning it on its axis is interesting, why?”

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1904 days

Add my vote for Ruth – great product – great person – I’ve never had a problem with one of her stoppers…work great and easy to use.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Mike's profile

Mike

Ruth looks like she has some great stoppers, but the price is allot higher when you start buying. This is the problem with US made versus overseas. Price does matter…

When I clear out of what I have, I will go with a different style. Thank you for the reference.

View Alan S's profile

Alan S

172 posts in 1951 days

Craft Supplies USA sells solid stainless steel stoppers.

Not sure where they are made, but they are good quality and reasonably priced.

Alan

View rance's profile

rance

So Mike, are you clearing out what you have or pulling them?

A friend of mine has an opinion about wine stoppers. He gives a lot of them as gifts. He now uses the plastic ones that go over the wooden dowel. a) He gives someone one of these cheaper stoppers. They pull it out, lay it on the counter, it gets bumped off and falls on their ceramic tile floor. The pick it up, maybe wash it off and put it back in the bottle. b) He gives them the nicer SS stopper. Same scenario, but when it falls, it chips their nice ceramic tile floor. They remember who gave it to them and it they remember YOU every time they see that chipped tile.

Maybe some truth to that tale, maybe not. That’s just what he told me though.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View childress's profile

childress

I actually never lay my bottle down after the cork has been removed. Or put any bottle in the frig. But I guess some do and this would be good to know….

-- Childress Woodworks