Rockler Thin Rip Table Saw Jig

Review by David Grimes posted 09-10-2011 10:59 AM 3513 views 4 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Thin Rip Table Saw Jig Rockler Thin Rip Table Saw Jig Rockler Thin Rip Table Saw Jig Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a Rockler product that is well made and does exactly what it says it will do. It’s about $20 if you get it at regular price.

I have used it on two occasions to rip several 1/8” strips to face the front of birch plywood wall shelves. Tonight the strips were from a drop of Poplar that otherwise would have been used as a bunch of stirring sticks on its way to the burn pile. I got three 1/8” x 96” pieces from the 3/4” x 5/8” x 96” I started with.

I have seen the complaint that the scale is not numbered, but IMO that is not a problem since all you have to do is set the tip to the blade edge, then back it off 1/16” or 1/8” or 3/16” or whatever the desired rip thickness is (the scale is in 16ths, but seeing 32nds is easily do-able as well), then after the first cut back it off the same distance (number of lines on the scale) for the next and every successive rip. The numbers would not mean anything to me.

The guide wheel kind of acts as a feather board just before the blade, then the riving knife of the saw actually helps keep the piece against the fence after the blade, so there is not any drift or flopping around even running the last 3/8” wide piece through the saw. Of course, the push stick was absolutely useless the last couple of inches on the last cut, but I dealt with the loss somehow. ;=)

It is a very useful jig that (for once) costs less than the trouble to make one. It has already saved me 64 feet of 3/4” screen mold (and the gas and time to go get it), so in my mind it paid for itself on the second date.

Worthy of 5 starts and highly recommended if you need thin rips.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1362 days

View Toolz's profile

Toolz

#1 posted 09-10-2011 12:20 PM

Nice review, I have had mine about a year and also recommend it.

-- Larry "Work like a Captain but Play like a Pirate!"

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#2 posted 09-10-2011 02:32 PM

I also like mine. While making a shop built jig wouldn’t be difficult, I felt that it was a cost effective purchase.

-- Joe

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5218 posts in 2030 days

#3 posted 09-10-2011 03:37 PM

I bought one of these but discovered it was no good for using on my cabinet saw since the miter slot was not close enough to the blade to get a rip less than 3/4”. If it would have extended just another 3/4” it would have been useful. It gathers dust now somewhere in my shop.

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

#4 posted 09-10-2011 04:24 PM

I have one and like it. Got it on sale, good value. I also like its featherboard like qualities.

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#5 posted 09-10-2011 07:47 PM

I like the looks of this. I think i want one!

View pmayer's profile

pmayer

#6 posted 09-11-2011 12:02 AM

I have this jig as well, and I like it ok, but to be honest I don’t use it much I end up using push sticks much more than the jig, so I can just set up the fence once and start ripping. Much quicker and less hassle.

-- PaulMayer, http://www.vernswoodgoods.com

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#7 posted 09-11-2011 04:15 AM

I have one of these that gets a lot of use not only as a thin rip jig but as a featherboard. I am really tight so it means something when I say: “This was well worth the money.” Greg…. I never thought about the miter slot being too far from the blade, You must have a BIG saw!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1362 days

#8 posted 09-11-2011 04:40 AM

If I put mine in the miter slot and fully extend it towards the blade, it does not reach. BUT… it is exactly 1/8” from the blade !!! Talk about easy setup for the first rip !!! :=)

View tomd's profile

tomd

#9 posted 09-11-2011 07:07 AM

I have one, use it alot and love it.

-- Tom D

View mafe's profile

mafe

#10 posted 09-11-2011 05:33 PM

I never used one of these, guess I have to now.
Thank you for the fine review.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#11 posted 09-11-2011 05:55 PM

Same comments… works well for me. Beats me trying to make one. Got it on sale or free shipping… No need for numbering on scale… it is all relative. I prefer to use gauges anyway. It makes cutting thin slices safer.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#12 posted 09-11-2011 06:44 PM

Thanks for posting this ,DG ,and thanks to Greg for mentioning the possible shortcomings regarding cabinet saws.
Greg , I have a JET 3hp left tilt…what is your saw ?

View supervato's profile

supervato

#13 posted 09-11-2011 07:44 PM

I wanted to get one of these now I will thanks.