Review by David Grimes posted 09-10-2011 07:40 AM 18990 views 2 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Glidden Trim & Door Extra High Gloss Interior/Exterior Oil Paint with Gel-Flow Technology Glidden Trim & Door Extra High Gloss Interior/Exterior Oil Paint with Gel-Flow Technology No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My partner’s better half works at Home Depot. She told him about this new paint they have. He told me about it. The word was that it would not drip or leave brush marks. Hmmm…

I went to get a can. The can itself says boldly on the label NO DRIPS, NO BRUSH MARKS. Hmmm…

I used it on a few projects and came to the conclusion (you guessed it): No drips and No brush marks ! How did they possibly manage that ? Usually, we add Penetrol (for oil) or Floetrol (for latex) and then use the best brushes (Purdy white china or Ox Hair) for almost no brush marks, but it’s usually thinner and can drip worse (certainly no better).

As you can see on the second picture, this stuff is so thick it doesn’t even lay flat in the can. And you are told not to shake or over-stir it. But when you load your brush, it spreads out and cuts edges like butter. As soon as you paint with it, there most certainly are brush marks. But then they lay down and go away. How did they do that ?

I believe the answer is on the back where it states “5 mils wet / 2.5 mils dry”. It loses 50% of its mill thickness while drying and basically the brush marks deflate (for want of a better word) into a flat brush-mark-less finish. It dries in a few hours and is hard and durable as a oil-based enamel should be.

I’m sold on this stuff. I bought two more cans (white and red), then used all three colors on my lathe stand project.

It is a bit pricey at $17.97 a quart and only comes in a few “extra high gloss” only colors as of now: Bright White, Antique White, Deepest Black, Classic Red, Rich Navy, Traditional Brown, National Red, and Linen Canvass.

I’ve got a back door that my dogs scratch (knock) on to let us know they are ready to come back in. It’s about to get a coat of this stuff, too.

Oh, I almost forgot. I used this product on raw pine, Advantech and treated pine without primer ! I primed with this product for first coat, then a quick light second coat to finish. Excellent adhesion.

I highly recommend this product and feel it easily deserves all 5 stars.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1390 days

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#1 posted 09-10-2011 09:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I’ll be buying some the next time I paint something – which might be a hunert years or so from now. BTW – If you would put some blue on your lathe stand it would be truly patriotic!

-- Joe

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

#2 posted 09-10-2011 09:50 AM

Thanks for the review. Always nice to hear a product works as advertised.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#3 posted 09-10-2011 06:54 PM

Now, If only it could be sprayed ;-)

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View TheOldTimer's profile

Delicious pudding.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#6 posted 09-11-2011 04:18 AM

Thanks for posting this. I have to give this a try.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View glassyeyes's profile

glassyeyes

136 posts in 2080 days

#7 posted 09-12-2011 04:59 AM

This sounds like the quality oil paints of old, without the long drying time; my brother and I would’ve loved it when we were painting our way through school.

-- Now, where did I put those bandaids?

View Artiste's profile

Artiste

#8 posted 12-05-2012 08:47 PM

I love this stuff. I have used it for several years now. I have painted my fireplace mantle, my double front doors and now I am using it for my kitchen cabinets. I somehow manage to get it a bit cottage cheesy in texture after stirring because there is aalways a good deal of separation. Am I overstirring? How does one tell when it has been stirred enough? I use a spoon and not a stick otherwise I would be there for days. Despite the cottage cheese effect it does cover nicely but sometimes requires 2 coats.