Timber Mate Wood Filler - By Far the Best

Review by David Grimes posted 09-10-2011 06:52 AM 13525 views 3 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Timber Mate Wood Filler - By Far the Best Timber Mate Wood Filler - By Far the Best Timber Mate Wood Filler - By Far the Best Click the pictures to enlarge them

For years I was a regular user of the old crusty… I mean trusty Minwax Stainable Wood Filler. I’ve thrown away quite a bit that hardened around the edges, then the last bit on the bottom. Sometimes it would get a foul odor, too… but it “worked”.

Then, some time ago I came across Timber Mate and thought I’d give it a try. I’ve been using nothing but this product ever since. I liked it so much after the first order that I immediately ordered all the other colors.

It’s a product from Australia, but is available in the US. They do a great job of truthful advertising, so I’ll give you their spiel … then I’ll add a few more tidbits of personal opinion:

From http://www.timbermate.com/timbermate-wood-filler-is-the-only-non-shrinking-water-based-wood-filler-on-the-market

Now Available in the United States

For over a decade, Timbermate® has been the leading wood filler in Australia. The reason for its dominance is simple: there is no other product like it; there is no other product better.

Timbermate never shrinks, sinks, cracks, or falls out!

Timbermate comes in 13 wood tones, ranging from Australian Cypress to Walnut, and our Natural/Tint Base can be mixed with any type of tint or stain. And unlike ordinary wood fillers, if Timbermate dries out, just add water so there’s never any waste.

Timbermate is water-based – professionals love it

Timbermate is the only completely water-based wood-filler, crack filler, grain filler, and troweleable filler available on the U.S. market. Other interior-grade wood-fillers are solvent, latex, or acrylic based, and they tend to buckle when the wood “shifts” , in addition to shrinking, cracking, sinking or falling out as a result of ambient humidity change. Existing fillers also have trouble accepting stain.

- Timbermate is impervious to climate shifts
- Timbermate easily takes nails, screws, planing, sawing, drilling, and routing
- Timbermate takes stain so well you won’t believe it’s not the real wood

I’ll add to that…
- It is much finer in texture than any wood filler I have ever experienced. As fine or finer than sheetrock mud or a light spackle.

- The finer “grain” of the product also sands smoother and flatter than others.

- It dries very fast.

- The filler does not “stain” the surrounding wood, so when you sand it to smooth you really have only sanded the filler off the surface of the wood. I seemed to be sanding a bit extra to get the surrounding wood stained by other fillers.

I love it. I recommend it.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#1 posted 09-10-2011 07:32 AM

I keep meaning to try that stuff.
I’ve been using famowood water based filler and like it a lot.

Thanks for the review!

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View gko's profile

gko

79 posts in 1911 days

#2 posted 09-10-2011 10:28 AM

I also agree that its the best filler I have ever tried. It is very easy to smooth and manipulate. Dries quickly and deeply. Thin it with water to change the to the texture you want to work with. Thin it a lot and it works like a grain filler. The only thing I’ve found is it softens into mush when exposed to water. I used it to fill a crack in my outdoor stair and painted it. After several months with a few bouts of rain I noticed the fills were bulging and found that under the paint it turned into mush. It might do ok under varnish but I’m only guessing. Otherwise its my favorite filler to date.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

#3 posted 09-10-2011 11:07 AM

Timber Mate is an interior grade wood filler, so I am not surprised that your exterior application cause you grief. You are right that is it were sealed well it would probably be okay.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#4 posted 09-10-2011 01:14 PM

Sounds like I need to try some. Thanks for the review. I’ve never been happy with the stuff I’ve been using.

-- Life is good.

View jim C's profile

jim C

#5 posted 09-10-2011 01:53 PM

Great review David. I’m on my way to get some.
Thanks

View rusty2010's profile

rusty2010

#6 posted 09-10-2011 01:58 PM

Have you tried staining it after application

-- check, recheck then check again

#7 posted 09-10-2011 05:02 PM

Interesting info thx and I will try some this weekend.

#8 posted 09-10-2011 09:25 PM

@rusty210,

I have not stained it yet, but have very high expectations based on info and reviews of the product.

Ironic that you ask that question, because I am making a sample board of each of the “colors” so that i can compare dry to wood I happen to be working on… and even blend the fillers if the wood fall “in between”.
I need this answered BEFORE I start a new Dining Room Table project.

I also am making several “recipes” (shellac, BLO, varnish, lacquer, etc.) of clear finishes to test on the wood raw and over stain on both flatwork and lathe-turned.

I will share when and / if I have any successes worthy of sharing. ;=)

@Bertha (Al), I may be on to something in regards to the French Polish question of yours that went unanswered (by everyone) on another thread. Wish me success. ;=)

View mafe's profile

mafe

#9 posted 09-10-2011 09:36 PM

That looks really good, now I just have to travel to US or Australia…
Big smile buddy,
Mads

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#10 posted 09-10-2011 10:44 PM

I love the stuff, great product and well worth the money.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#11 posted 09-11-2011 04:27 AM

This is the best wood/grain filler that I have ever used. I have stained it with MinWax Walnut, applied BLO, Spar, And Poly over it and have been pleased every time. I use it right out of the jar to fill cracks, nail holes, etc and mix it to a thick paste consistency for a grain filler. A credit card across the grain is my preferred method of application for filling grain on porous woods. I’ll second the comment on “foul odor” from Min Wax filler [will gag a fly]. On the other hand this stuff has a pleasant odor.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#12 posted 09-11-2011 04:30 AM

@gfadvm, Like the credit card idea. And good to know about the stainablility, too.

View rusty2010's profile

rusty2010

#13 posted 09-11-2011 01:00 PM

thanx for the info, i’m going to try it

-- check, recheck then check again