CAN'T BUY A STEEL CITY 13" HELICAL PLANER------NOW I KNOW WHY

Review by HANDSANDIT posted 09-10-2011 11:50 AM 18276 views 0 times favorited 27 comments Add to Favorites Watch
CAN'T BUY A STEEL CITY 13" HELICAL PLANER------NOW I KNOW WHY No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

ARE WE GOING BACK TO THESE?

A PUZZLING QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED FOR ME, AFTER READING TODD’S REVIEW OF THE STEEL CITY 13” PORTABLE PLANER WITH HELICAL HEAD. 2 DAYS AGO I CALLED HW AND WAS ALL EXCITED BECAUSE I HAD DECIDED TO BUY ONE OF THOSE PLANNERS. I HAD JUST GONE THRU 2 DEWALT PLANERS ,A 733 AND 735 AS THE INSIDES JUST CAME UNDONE.THAT’S ANOTHER STORY FOR WHICH I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER FOR THESE PUZZLING CIRCUMSTANCES.

WHEN A GENTELMAN FROM HW ANSWERED THE PHONE, I TOLD HIM ABOUT MY DEWALT EXPERIANCES AND SAID I WAS VERY INTERESTED IN THE STEEL CITY PLANER. TO MY SURPRISE ,HE GAVE ME ALL KINDS OF REASONS WHY THE STEEL CITY WAS NOT FOR ME AND THAT I NEEDED SOMETHING DIFFERENT.HE SEEMED TO THINK I NEEDED SOMETHING ELSE . I ASKED HIM FOR HIS SALES PITCH AND HE SAID THAT WAS IT AND SAID HE DID NOT WANT ME TO CREATE ANOTHER PROBLEM BY ME BUYING HIS PLANER. WHOW ,I THOUGHT THIS GUY MUST HAVE HAD SOME VERY CURRENT PROBLEMS WITH THIS STEEL CITY PLANER NOT TO MAKE A SALE TO SOMEONE WHO WAS BEGGING TO BUY. I JUST USE THE PLANER MODERATLY, NOT PLANING THOUSANDS OF BF. HE WANTED TO END THE CONVERSATION AND LEFT ME WITH MY PHONE IN MY EAR AND SHAKING MY HEAD.

READING A FEW OF THE REVIEWS HERE ANSWERED MY QUESTION OF WHY HE DID NOT WANT TO GET IN DEEPER AT THIS POINT.I WILL GIVE HW A 5 FOR BEING HONEST AT THIS CRAZY POINT AS THEY GET THESE PROBLEMS WITH THE PLANER STAIGHTENED OUT. WHAT NUMBER CAN YOU GIVE A PRODUCT THAT THE SELLERS DO NOT WANT TO SELL? THE IDEA OF STEEL CITY IN THE PLANER SEEMS LIKE A GOOD ONE AND I WISH THEM THE BEST IN FIXXING IT.

I’LL GIVE YOU JUST A HINT AS TO THE DEWALT PROBLEM. A FEW DAYS AGO I RAN INTO A REVEIW OF THE DEWALT PLANERS BY A FORMER TOOL DESIGNER AND MAKER. HE SAID THE PROBLEM STARTED WITH THE USE OF WEAK INADEQUATE BLADES THAT AS THEY BEGAN TO WEAR ,THEY SHOOK THE WHOLE MACHINE CAUSING UNDO STRESS TO OTHER MAJOR OPERATING PARTS THAT CAUSED THEM TO FALL TO PIECES AS THEY ARE MADE OF PLASTIC AND POT METAL. ALL OF THE SYMTOMS HE DESCRIBED WERE THE SAME EXPERIANCE I HAD GONE THRU.THE QUOTE WAS “DEWALT WHAT EVER WERE YOU THINKING” IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, THEY ARE THE NOISIEST PLANERS OUT THERE DUE TO THE SLAMMING OF THE BAD BLADES , AND ALSO NOTICE HOW FAST THE BLADES GO FROM GOOD CUTTING TO BAD, ALL PART OF THIS PROBLEM. SO THE QUESTION REMAINS, WHAT DO WE BUY NOW. ANYONE ANY GOOD IDEAS?

THIS IS PROBABLLY NOT A REAL REVIEW BUT IT BELONGS WITH THE TOPICS I JUST READ HERE FOR THE STEEL CITY PLANER. AND I WOULD CAUTION ANYONE TO CAREFULLY ANALIZE THE DEWALT. I KNOW IT’S HARD, I ALMOST WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A 735 ANYWAY JUST OUT OF THE NECCESITY OF NEEDING A PLANER RIGHT NOW. BUT PATIENCE IS VIRTUOUS SOMEONE SAID. BY THE WAY I HAVE NO TROUBLE WITH HW. THEY SAVED ME ANOTHER HASSLE. BY THE WAY THEIR PATTERN VISE IS GREAT.

View HANDSANDIT's profile

HANDSANDIT

View Howie's profile

Howie

#1 posted 09-10-2011 01:10 PM

I’ve been using a DeWalt 735 for over seven years. Replaced blades once…..also found out if you take the top off and sweep out the inside once in a while it just keeps on ticking. Noisy? My wife and I use ear muffs from HF. Cheap but effective.
Welcome to LJ’s. There is a vast amount of knowledge to be learned here and a vast amount of people that share it.

-- Life is good.

View woodzy's profile

woodzy

#2 posted 09-10-2011 02:54 PM

It’s hard to get mad when your cautioned by someone who is tring to save you time from fustration.
Did they say that they were working out issues with the Sttel City 13” Planner or that the machine was just not worthy of buying, PERIOD?
I have a 20 year old 10” Ryobi Surface Planer that is more tank than tool and it’s loud as hell, but hasn’t fallen apart on me. I’ve sharpened the blades a number of times, it does get quite loud as the blades dull.
I wonder if the DeWalts were Lemons, they are generally a reputable company and quality product, but you’ve gone through 2 which means you know how to put this tool through it’s paces.

What have you decided to purchase?

-- Anthony

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#3 posted 09-10-2011 04:03 PM

Thanks for the info! I’ve had salesmen talk me out of buying things, but usually because they run their mouth too much or they’re too lazy to make a pitch. Never had an experiance like yours, though!

Just a friendly side note… PEOPLE HATE READING IN ALL CAPS!

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#4 posted 09-10-2011 08:28 PM

we never left the planes so we ain´t turning back to them
you shuold try it ….... it has nothing to do with pumping iron or have to bee in good fitness to do it
but it will help you geting there ….........its called lifestilechange ….. LOL

Dennis

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

#5 posted 09-10-2011 09:09 PM

Ya, typing in all caps is the Internet equivalent of yelling. It makes things VERY hard to read.

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#6 posted 09-10-2011 09:18 PM

+1 fallon

-- Ben L

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#7 posted 09-10-2011 10:16 PM

I have read so much negative material on the current portable planers that I decided to keep my Delta 22-540 machine which is quite old. Sure it does not have the bells and whistles of the others but it does what it was made for, plane wood. I am on my second set of blades and just ordered another back-up set via Amizon. Think I paid between 250 & 300 for this machine many years ago. Once a year, I disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning inspecting all parts. It is then good as new.
I know all things do not last forever, but when it finally quits, I will order a 15” planer to replace it. Would rather spend more money up front then to fool around with something that will only last a few years, had defective parts and lousy blades. These portable planers are no longer cheap and for a few hundred bucks more you can get a stationary planer with a larger motor an more stability. No I do not represent any supplier, these are just my thoughts. Hope my 22-540 lasts many more years.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#8 posted 09-10-2011 10:30 PM

Last year I was at the Woodcraft store in Towson MD. They were using a Steel City planer in the back room but the noise was extreme clear to the front of the store.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

#9 posted 09-10-2011 10:32 PM

I sort of wonder whats going on when the first (and so far, only) item posted by a new user is a slam of not one but two manufacturers of benchtop planers…

Just saying…

Be Careful.

Herb

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

View CryptKeeper's profile

CryptKeeper

#10 posted 09-11-2011 12:36 AM

First, welcome to LJ’s you will find a ton of useful information and help here!

Now, I’ve never owned a Steel City but I’ve owned the DW735 for over 5 years and I have never had a problem with it and I’m probably on my 4th set of purchased blades. The blades that came from the factory were crap and I replaced them after my first major project. One thing that I know causes problems on 735 is not using adequate dust collection and the owner’s manual clearly warns of this (or at least mine did).

PS. I agree with Fallon please turn the caps-lock off.

-- Ron - Any day that I don't learn something new is a wasted day.

View REL's profile

REL

#11 posted 09-11-2011 05:18 AM

Who or what is HW?

-- REL, North Jersey

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#12 posted 09-11-2011 06:08 AM

Whatever you’re doing seems to be a planer killer!

I’ve had my 735 for a few years and have run hundreds of BF through it. Changed the blades once but at a reasonable time. It’s a rock. When I was looking to purchase it I based my decision on many of the positive reviews from the LJ members. and I have no idea what HW is.

#13 posted 09-11-2011 07:28 AM

Another 5 star review from someone that doesn’t even own the tool...take it to the tool forum and talk about it there instead of skewing the ratings for this tool with your %&$#>@? 5 stars !!

I’ve owned my DeWalt 733 for more years than I can remember without a single problem ….in fact , I bought a second one from Craigslist just in case my original one ever dies….that was three years ago now.
Sounds more like an operator problem than a DeWalt planer problem.

WE’RE ALL HAPPY THAT YOU FOUND THE CAPSLOCK BUTTON , NOW LOOK FOR THE SPELLCHECKER OPTION

View ChuckV's profile (online now)

ChuckV

#14 posted 09-11-2011 02:19 PM

My guess is that “HW” is Highland Woodworking, of WoodSlicer fame.

For the record, I am another long-time satisfied DW735 owner. Yes, it is load – not recommended for apartment or nursing home use. Probably you could trash it by constantly taking the maximum depth of cut from the maximum width ironwood board. But, if you use it as intended, it will do the job for a long while.

I do not even understand the title here, “CAN’T BUY A STEEL CITY 13” HELICAL PLANER”. Go to http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/steelcityportableplaner13helicalhead.aspx and click ADD TO CART.

It is on sale for $500.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View Howie's profile

Howie

#15 posted 09-11-2011 03:43 PM

Frankly this sounds like someone who is trying to stir up a controversy and it backfired.
Maybe it’s the same person that got the Lounge removed. People that type in all capitals are screaming for attention any way they can get it.

-- Life is good.