The workbench book

Review by mafe posted 1057 days ago 2253 views 2 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The workbench book No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The workbench book
A craftsman’s guide to workbenches for every type of woodworking.
by: Scott Landis

ISBN-10: 1561582700
ISBN-13: 978-1561582709

A craftsman’s guide to workbenches for every type of woodworking. This part of the title is where this books really stands out. It is not just a how to build a fancy workbench and where to buy the hardware book, it is a real workbench book.

What do I mean by this?
Where some books are written for the hobbyist, then this book is a book written for the craftsman but is just as usefull for the hobbist.

Why?
Because it is a historical and craft documented book, it goes into the heart of the workbench, it tells you not what to do, but the different possibilities that you can chooses from and this even with in different trades, nationalities and ways of thinking – but it don’t hold your hand in the building of the bench, it is for you to take a choice and for you to design your own bench after your needs after reading the book.

Wonderful!
Yes I know I like that word, but this book is just that – wonderful. It is intelligent and it is one of those books that will become a classic in one hundred years also since it relates to the trades and not the producers that will be gone in ten to twenty years from now.

This book covers:
Different types of workbenches, Japanese, my favorite the Shaker bench, the Scandinavian types and many more, also the ‘Roubo’ type (I do not like that name, it should be called the old French type since he documented the bench and not invented it). All of them fine covered and with the different craftsmen and their experiences with the benches behind.
Also shaving horses, saw benches, carvers benches and holds and even the Workmate.

If you are thinking of building a workbench and would like to give it a personal touch relating to your own ideas this book is the book.

So I give this book five stars, this book is talking to your brain.

I love it, and I really have the build a workbench fever now, thank you for opening my eyes my fellow LJ’s.

Best thoughts,
Mads

View mafe's profile

mafe

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2070 days

thanks for the review. I have this book too, and it provides a good history of various workbench forms. well written and worth checking out!

;-)

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thank you Aaron.

View schuft's profile

schuft

Thanks for the review. A real workbench is on my to-do list this winter.

View Sodabowski's profile

Sodabowski

2002 posts in 1438 days

Dude, you’re reading quite a bunch of books these days!

-- Holy scrap Barkman!

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

I’ll concur, one of the few workbenches book, and better than some. it does cover a lot in the book, and have some ideas and concepts that can be incorporated into bench designs. What I took from this book was adding a wagon vise to my workbench although I took the idea of my (sorry mads) ‘Roubo’ (might as well give him credit for documenting it) workbench from a different book.

This book is good and discusses many workbenches and their characteristics but what I felt was missing in this one though was more explanations on the ‘whys’ in reference to the design choices per workbench and the reasons for those design elements.

good book nonetheless.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

Thanks for not mentioning you-know-who…

Thanks for the review, Mafe. I have a bench on my to-do list and it looks like this is one that I should be reading before getting started.

View Rick  Dennington's profile (online now)

Rick Dennington

Mads,
Thanks again for the review….. As I told you in the first go-round, I think it is an excellent book for the folks that are looking to build a bench, like Scott Bryan, to have on hand, and it’s good reading, too. I’ve had mine a long time, and still enjoy it….I took Ian Kirby’s design some years ago, and built his bench (not just like it), but the instructions were very helpful….Plus… I like looking at the pixs….:)

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View nobuckle's profile

nobuckle

Thanks Mads. Would you be able to impart the ISBN? I am looking to build a bench in the near future and I need all the help I can get.

-- Doug - Make an effort to live by the slogan "We try harder"

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

ISBN-10: 1561582700
ISBN-13: 978-1561582709

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View nobuckle's profile

nobuckle

Sweet. Thanks Wayne.

-- Doug - Make an effort to live by the slogan "We try harder"

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

Np.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View pariswoodworking's profile

pariswoodworking

Mads, thanks for the review. I want this book now. :)

-- Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

View Holt's profile

Holt

I know this an old review, but I just got down to it so it’s new to me<g>. I think this is one of the better workbench books out there, but if you are really going to dig and obsess, you might as well get them all. They all have something to offer. The exception (brace yourself to be outraged) would be Chris Schwarz’s Workbench book. If you want to build his Roubo style bench, then that’s the only book you need. If you aren’t, then I don’t think it really offers you anything. Of course if you are going to spend years brooding over what bench to build, you might as well get his too, it is a good read.