One good turn

Review by mafe posted 09-08-2011 03:08 PM 1133 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

One good turn No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

One good turn
A natural history of the screwdriver & the screw.
By: Witold Rybczynski

This is a wonderful little book, the write set out to tell about the best tools of our millennium, and end up discovering and telling the history of the screw…

On this discovery we go back in time to the Romans, the Egyptians and we people like Leonardo and Archimedes all in a wonderful style of writing.

What is this book?
It is a serious documentation of the history of the screw, but told in a wonderful tone of humor and we are getting bombarded with fact about the inventions of the time, like lathes, braces and of course the screwdriver and the history about this tool that just seem so simple that it must have been there always we think.
The book can be read in an afternoon and has a few illustrations of old times to explain and document.

This is not a ‘how to’ book, it is a little poetic presentation of the history of the screw.

I found this book by accident on the local library, and am so happy it ended in the pile of books I brought home that day.

I give it five stars with no doubt.

Best thoughts,
Mads

View mafe's profile

mafe

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

#1 posted 09-08-2011 03:20 PM

Got a copy for Christmas a couple of years ago.. Couldn’t agree more with the review Mads.

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#2 posted 09-08-2011 03:25 PM

Mads, you sure do come up with some good things. Thanks for what you do.

View patron's profile (online now)

patron

13182 posts in 2094 days

#3 posted 09-08-2011 05:27 PM

good to know mads

thanks

having been screwed a few times

i will have to read this
and see how to get over that better

View dbray45's profile

dbray45

#4 posted 09-08-2011 05:33 PM

It is on my wish list

-- David in Damascus, MD

View Gary Roberts's profile

Gary Roberts

#5 posted 09-08-2011 06:34 PM

I’ll back Mads on this one too. It’s a great read, informative, funny and definitely something you’ve likely never thought about.

-- Gary Roberts, http://toolemera.com

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#6 posted 09-08-2011 07:56 PM

Being as I do not have the book, I think it would be nice if you read us a few passages from time to time.
Who used the screw for the first time- like where and when was the idea born?

View doordude's profile

doordude

#7 posted 09-09-2011 12:53 AM

Mad f, you have been reading some interesting books lately. thanks for the tip, next time i’m in the library i’ll look for it.
i like patron’s comment we’ve all been screwed in unusual ways; nice to get the history aspect

View Dennisgrosen's profile

View mafe's profile

mafe

#9 posted 09-11-2011 11:53 PM

Hi guys,
Like the book are a bit crazy in a wonderful way, so are yor comments,
Thank you!