Very poorly assembled

Review by GaryL posted 09-07-2011 02:55 AM 3523 views 1 time favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very poorly assembled Very poorly assembled No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I ordered 2 of the Oneida Dust Deputies to set up on two different shop vacs since they were on sale for $39.
Opened them up and the tops on both of them were a bit skewed. I pressed on the section that looked like it was not on all the way and POP, off it came. Looked at the second one and barely gave it a tap and …...bummer.

I kinda had to laugh because it was not a total surprise after lilredweldingrod’s review
I was hoping they had remedied this fault by now.

After a closer examination, it was obvious the adhesive they used was only covering about 20% of the joint. I tried to get a close up of it but could not get it focused well.

Time to make some lemonade. Pulled out the Three Systems epoxy and reassembled them. Should be good to go by tomorrow morning.

I’ll update this when I get them assembled on some buckets. As of right now, 2 stars is generous. I’m sure I’ll raise that when operational. I’m sure they’ll work great…...(crossing fingers).....

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

View patron's profile

patron

13182 posts in 2094 days

#1 posted 09-07-2011 03:00 AM

well fixing new tools and accessories
is not the best way to say hello

but i’m sure you will do a fine job on them

i feel for all you dust collectors

i just blow mine outside into the desert
with nothing but the vacuum on the line

View BillyJ's profile

BillyJ

622 posts in 1956 days

#2 posted 09-07-2011 03:57 AM

Gary – to quote a former president; I feel your pain. I’d start ranting my favorite song, but you probably know the lyrics already. It’s a true shame that a person cannot purchase something from a “quality” manufacture without having problems. I used to think Bosch was the cats-meow, but I”m changing my tune after the past 2 purchases.

Hey, if you ever to decide to hang up the tools, maybe they could hire you as a QC manager! You could probably sleep 8-hours and accomplish more then they currently do.

-- I've never seen a tree that I wouldn't like to repurpose into a project. I love the smell of wood in the morning - it smells like victory.

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

#3 posted 09-07-2011 04:03 AM

Is there such a thing as Quality Control anymore?
That takes to much out of the bottom line!

Maybe they put them on sale to get rid of all the rejects. :^(

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

#4 posted 09-07-2011 08:26 AM

Gary, I thought they would have cleared this up by now. In the comments of my review is the phone and e-mail address for the head stick in charge. Jeff Hill? To get one is a fluke, but two and in the same order? Wow!!

Maybe I’ll revisit my review and lower the star rating on these guys. I guess all we got off my rant was lip service and we all know where they can shove that.

By the way, epoxy did not stick to the plastic in my DD. They told me it to a special poly something glue. Sorry, but I don’t remember the name. Maybe you can make a big washer out of plywood and with some 1/4” all thread, that ought to make things hang together.

View spunwood's profile

spunwood

#5 posted 09-07-2011 02:05 PM

That’s too bad gary, I ordered one a few months ago and the seal was quite good. I am very satisfied with mine, but am still working out the kinks in the stand I built for the deputy & the vac. I think they are a pretty good low cost solution to dust collection. Good luck.

-- I came, I was conquered, I was born again. ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν

View SSMDad's profile

SSMDad

#6 posted 09-07-2011 02:50 PM

Perhaps I was fortunate when I bought mine but it’s worked like a charm with no skewing tops or anything out of place.

I pretty much followed all the instructions and made sure to seal the connection with silicon and I’ve yet to encounter any problem at all with it. Maybe you just received a bad unit (or from a batch of units)? What about returning them to where you bought for an exchange?

Sorry to hear of these problems for you and apparently others. Good luck with it.

-- Chris ~~Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

View harley04's profile

harley04

#7 posted 09-07-2011 03:31 PM

I purchased the Dust Deputy set from Rockler 2 years ago and am very satisfied. The carton had 2 buckets(5 gallon), and the collector which looks exactly like the one pictured. In my small shop it does everything I need and have had no problems even with it hooked to my ridgid 13” planer. It gathers about 95% of the dust and chips. The company must have really cheapened the materials.

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

#8 posted 09-07-2011 07:40 PM

My lid to my dust deputy was never loose it came glued on. Try writing them and see if they would send you new cyclones.

View SSMDad's profile

SSMDad

#9 posted 09-07-2011 07:42 PM

Seems to be the way it goes a lot of times from what I’ve seen with other companies though. At the beginning the products are really good and as they get popular (and/or move to china) the quality goes down the toilet and you’re an anomaly when you get a good one.

Really bites.

View bobdurnell's profile

bobdurnell

#10 posted 09-08-2011 12:52 AM

GaryL—I bought mine two years ago at the big tool show in Las Vegas. When I finaly got around to setting it up, mine came apart too. I just went to this years tool show in Las Vegas and talked to the guys about the problem. The units are ultrasound glued and no adhesive will work. I fixed mine by bending small L brackets to the shape and screwed then on. I used 4 brackets and it works better than ever.

-- bobdurnell, Santa Ana California.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

523 posts in 1933 days

#11 posted 09-08-2011 04:41 AM

I agree with the first comment from Patron…blow it outside!...if you can. I apologize if you can’t but it has worked great for many. The negative pressure/furnace issue isn’t much of an issue, the cooled/heated air pushed out of the shop isn’t bad either. If you are a hobbits and run a dust collector a minutes at a time then there’s no problem. If you run it for 30 minutes straight you’ll have to crack a window and absorb some intimate weather. The gain outweighs the pain in many circumstances. While Oneida makes good products it sounds like they went cheap on this one. Looks pretty cheap just based on the pictures.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View pmayer's profile

pmayer

#12 posted 09-08-2011 05:53 AM

sorry to hear about your experience with the DD. Mine has been stellar for nearly two years now.

-- PaulMayer, http://www.vernswoodgoods.com

View crank49's profile

crank49

#13 posted 09-08-2011 06:50 AM

Aren’t those little cyclones made out of polyethylene. If so, there is no glue that will bond to it. They have to be welded.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View TheDane's profile (online now)

TheDane

#14 posted 09-08-2011 06:42 PM

I bought one of the early versions of the Dust Deputy 2+ years ago, and have been perfectly satisfied. It does a great job for me.

Since then, I have read a number of comments that parallel yours. I would contact Oneida about the problem.

—Gerry

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

3613 posts in 1948 days

#15 posted 09-08-2011 08:18 PM

I looked at those things when they first came out, and I thought they looked cheap-made for the price they were asking…and now I find out they are ultrasound glued (thanks to Bob Durnell for the heads-up). Glad I never bought one, and now the quality is even worse than then? Piss-poor quality seems to be the norm anymore. Makes me afraid to buy anything anymore….High dollar, and piss-poor production..what else is new these days? When you can’t even glue something back together again to make it work right, that’s when they got you…...that’s why they made it that way, so you’d call and order another one….bummer deluxe…!!!
Why would anyone throw good money after bad? I’ve been stung a couple of times, but at least it was something I could fix, and not a major problem.

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......