The workbench book

Review by mafe posted 1059 days ago 2980 views 1 time favorited 56 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The workbench book No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have asked LJ to remove this review, but due to a number of personal mails with requests from my fellow LJ’s, I re post it here, I think you are all right at the end ‘we may not let us control by the few.

The workbench book
A craftsman’s guide to workbenches for every type of woodworking.
by: Scott Landis

A craftsman’s guide to workbenches for every type of woodworking. This part of the title is where this books really stands out. It is not just a how to build a fancy workbench and where to buy the hardware book, it is a real workbench book.

What do I mean by this?
I mean that where Schwarz The workbench design book (wonder how he came up with that title…) is a wonderful book on how to build different types of workbenches for the hobby woodworker, then this book is a book written for the craftsman.

Why?
Because it is a historical and craft documented book, it goes into the heart of the workbench, it tells you not what to do, but the different possibilities that you can chooses from and this even with in different trades, nationalities and ways of thinking – but it don’t hold your hand in the building of the bench, it is for you to take a choice and for you to design your own bench after your needs after reading the book.

Wonderful!
Yes I know I like that word, but this book is just that – wonderful. It is intelligent and it is one of those books that will become a classic in one hundred years also since it relates to the trades and not the producers that will be gone in ten to twenty years from now.

This book covers:
Different types of workbenches, Japanese, my favorite the Shaker bench, the Scandinavian types and many more, also the ‘Roubo’ type (I do not like that name, it should be called the old French type since he documented the bench and not invented it). All of them fine covered and with the different craftsmen and their experiences with the benches behind.
Also shaving horses, saw benches, carvers benches and holds and even the Workmate.

If you are thinking of building a workbench and would like to give it a personal touch relating to your own ideas this book is the book, combined with Schwarz’s book you can’t go wrong.

So I give this book five stars, as a book talking to your brain it is far more interesting than Schwarz book, but as a build along manual it is not at the same level.

I love it, and I really have the build a workbench fever now, thank you for opening my eyes my fellow LJ’s.

Best thoughts,

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

Thanks Mafe!

You have been on a reading spree…

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

Mads,

That is a great book by Scott Landis. I’ve had the soft cover edition since about 1995 or so. The original hardcover edition came out in 1987. He has written a couple of other complimentary books to go with the work bench book….one is entitled “The Workshop Book”, but I forget the other one. In fact, I’ve built a couple of benches like in the bench book. I built one similar to Ian Kirby’s bench (but not totally identical), and was just barely finished with it when a guy came into my shop, and asked if I wouod sell it to him..after him looking it over carefully.. Oh yea, I says. We loaded it into his truck, he paid me, and off he went. I got the $$$, he got the bench, and that was a long time ago…..I bet he still has it…....lol.

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View Mauricio's profile

Mauricio

I just scored this book last week on Ebay and really like it so far. I am dieing to make my own wooden screw for a vise!

-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch

View Mauricio's profile

Mauricio

P.S. Mads, at least in my version of the book he does have instructions on building 4 of the benches: Shaker, Klausz, Fortune/Nelsen, and Kirby.

View Brit's profile

Brit

Nice review Mads. I read it about 4 years ago and loved it too. Then I read Lon Schleining’s book on workbenches, which I also liked although it is different to this one.

-- Andy -- Old Chinese proverb say: If you think something can't be done, don't interrupt man who is doing it.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thank´s for rewiew Mads :-)

take care
Dennis

mafe

Mine also have the benches with workdrawings and all sorry I did not make that so clear.
Mauricio, guess what I have waiting for me in the shop! A 1 inch threader set for wood, going to play on the same subject…
Smiles,

1389 posts in 2069 days

i agree – this book is really great and goes very well as a matched pair with Schwartz’s. WOrh checking out for all the history and variations.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Hey Mads, that is great book to reference when starting the design. It opens your eyes to what you might need if you have not thought about it. Thanks for sharing, my friend…......Jim

View doordude's profile

doordude

Hey Mafe, i’ll take your word that scott landis, has a great book. i’ve not come across this book; but have Lon scheinings book; and the schwartz’s book of course. and i’m in the middle of building a roubo style bench. whats nice; is seeing the options from different styles, that you can incorporate into your bench as your building it. but thanks for the heads up on this book; i’ll probally get sucked into buying this one too. i guess i better get down to the store.

View AnarchyPete's profile

AnarchyPete

Yes a great book and a must have on the shelf, but really, do you still need to make all the little digs on Chris Schwarz? It is impossible for me to see your criticism of him as constructive. Why? Because you seem to really have a grudge, perhaps stemming from your confrontational correspondence long ago, so I don’t think it is “fair and balanced” as we like to say in the good ole USA. Since reading your other posts I have looked back at CS – his blogs, his books, his DVDs and I have looked very very hard for signs of the elitist snobby meanie portrayed here. I still don’t see it. It is entirely subjective. Opinions are one thing, but slander and attacking character is another. You seem to imply CS lacks honor, but where is the honor in your approach to him? I don’t see that either.

Of course, love, kisses, smiles and all that to you too.

1389 posts in 2069 days

sorry apart from a bit of light criticism at schwartz’s book (but not his character) in the original post, who’s making little digs?

1389 posts in 2069 days

dude, take it elsewhere. Looking into it I now see what you did on that other thread. it’s in poor taste.

Hi ho,
Jim, a big smile to you my friend, yes it is a book that will not just collect dust on the shelf.
Aaron, thank you for your words and support, it is a really good book and so are Schwarz’s on workbenches.

AnarchyPete, you write: ‘It is impossible for me to see your criticism of him as constructive’ I think you are right, but at least try and read this:
Once upon a time an old and a young monk was on a pilgrim tour, they reached a river and there stood a woman crying. The older monk asked her why, and she replies that she needed to get over the river but the stream was too strong for her to get over it. The old monk asked the young one to grip his arms so they could make a chair on which she could sit, and so they and passed the stream holding the woman in their arms. The woman was really happy and thanked them before they walked each their way. The monks walked for another week or so in silence, and then the young monk said to the old ‘but master, we are not supposed to touch a woman, how could you ask me to carry that woman with you’? To this the old monk answered: ‘what woman’? ‘The one by the river’ the young replied. And so the old monk said ‘ahhhh that woman, do you really still carry her around, I left her on the river bank’.

Best thoughts,

View dbray45's profile

dbray45

Mads, I guess this is only fair. I referred a book and now it is your turn to refer a book. I will have to get this.

-- David in Damascus, MD